CoinPeople.com

Russian coins of interest (quality, rarety, beauty) for sale on eBay...

extant4cell

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like overstrike coins. Got most of the common overstruck coins except for the silver and gold. You can never get bored with overstruck coins as they all look different :)

I might have surprise coming up - still waiting for them to appear in the mail.

I'd like to see your surprise coins :) Will you show them to us here?

Of course! :) This is a coin that I bought a while ago Not too sure if I showed it but it fits within the theme of overstruck coins.

1788 1 kopek (no mintmark) over 1762 2 kopek

1021021.jpg

I know the details are just too hard to see but it's definitely an overstrike. I'll have to take better photos when I get the chance.

While overstruck 5 and 2 kopek coins are common, I believe 1 kopek and denga are on another scale. Maybe understated, maybe not. Maybe someone can post a better example?

Will post the tougher coins when they come in. I don't think I'll do any more big purchases until I offload some of the duplicates.

Thank you for showing. Pretty interesting.

...I don't think I'll do any more big purchases until I offload some of the duplicates.

I say that all the time to myself and fail... :sorry::grin:

Here is the one I added to my collection last year:

1025958.jpg

What do you think about possibility of overstrikes among denga coins in 1757/8/9 etc?

No mention of that as far as I am aware, but is it all that impossible?

Here are a couple of denga coins with some imperfections...

post-27191-0-30961700-1400049444_thumb.j post-27191-0-09360100-1400049497_thumb.j

above is 1757 Denga, bellow is 1759 Denga

• post-20732-0-68255600-1400051731_thumb.j

These coins are of approximately 5.12 g in weight and 23 mm in diameter...

The closest (weight-wise) coins are:

Denga 1701 - 1703

5.33 g / 23 mm:

1_5253fb5eebb01.jpg

And possibly some lighter Dengas 1704 onwards (4.1 g / 18-23 cm), like above and other designds:

p_49a2c0177968e.jpgp_49a2c017b18d7.jpg

It is a VERY remote chance of that happening, but is it completely impossible?

squirrel - a nice coin. Looks better than mine. extant4cell - yours show the underlayer very clearly. I like it.

Your 1759 denga looks like it's an overdated 1759/7. Not too sure if you noticed that. :) Denga coins were supposedly overstruck over 1762 1 kopek coin but I haven't found such examples yet.

There was a 1742 (?) grivnennik that was overstruck on a cutout ruble coin (!) and I thought that was really wild. Many thought it was struck over an older 10 kopek but after looking at the underlaying text in details, I think we came to an agreement that it was a ruble coin to start out with. I forgot to save pictures of it but I hope someone here did - I posted the link a while back and can't find it :wallbash:

Here's my two kopeks :)

They are beautiful overstrikes! :)

I want to know what the rareity is so i can offer a good price.

Hard to say. I'd say anything up to $20 would be fair, for my liking, but if you'd ask me to sell you one like this for that price, I will not be able to do that... Here is from Michail's catalog (if I identified it correctly):

And this is the one you are after:

imgLoading_30x30.gif$_1.JPG

imgLoading_30x30.gif$_1.JPG