CoinPeople.com

Thanks for the data link

I grew up in Dundee where, before the Tay Bridge was opened (1966) a popular day out commenced with taking the local ferry (aka`The Fifie') from Dundee over to Newport in Fife. The journey time depended upon weather and tides and took between 10 and 20 minutes to make the crossing. The cost was the princely sum of one (old) penny. Many of my childhood days (especially during school holidays) included taking trips on the `Fifie'

BL%20Nairn.jpg

• 1 year later...

.......another one in relation to river transport on the Rhone. I've waited a few years to get hold of an example of this jeton, which is a good deal scarcer than the one at the start of this thread. If you look closely the name of the boat is the `Sirius' (name on the paddle wheel)

1035860.jpg

Glad you finally acquired such a nice example :bthumbsup:

Not sure if you are interested in the details of Sirius PS....but here they are :read:

Iron Steam Vessel, built by Messrs Wm. Fairbairn and Co., of Millwall, London
1837 Sirius, 249 tons, 70 horse power, 175ft. lenght of deck , 17 beam, 7ft. 10in depth of hold. .
Built for the Rhone The engines were high pressure with locomotive tubular boilers Her speed was 12 miles an hour and she drew when light 2ft 6in. She was very stable and made the passage to Marseilles partly under canvass She was out in a very heavy gale in the Bay of Biscay and behaved well and on her arrival at Marseilles was as dry as when she left the river Thames not having made the least water or having sprung in the least degree.
She was the first "Iron Ship" registered at Lloyds,

.......another one in relation to river transport on the Rhone. I've waited a few years to get hold of an example of this jeton, which is a good deal scarcer than the one at the start of this thread. If you look closely the name of the boat is the `Sirius' (name on the paddle wheel)

1035860.jpg

Glad you finally acquired such a nice example :bthumbsup:

Not sure if you are interested in the details of Sirius PS....but here they are :read:

Iron Steam Vessel, built by Messrs Wm. Fairbairn and Co., of Millwall, London
1837 Sirius, 249 tons, 70 horse power, 175ft. lenght of deck , 17 beam, 7ft. 10in depth of hold. .
Built for the Rhone The engines were high pressure with locomotive tubular boilers Her speed was 12 miles an hour and she drew when light 2ft 6in. She was very stable and made the passage to Marseilles partly under canvass She was out in a very heavy gale in the Bay of Biscay and behaved well and on her arrival at Marseilles was as dry as when she left the river Thames not having made the least water or having sprung in the least degree.
She was the first "Iron Ship" registered at Lloyds,

Very interesting. A terrific piece and nice information. Thank you both.

• 4 years later...

My latest acquisition related to this theme. Not many examples of this jeton to be found these days other than  those that have been made into a fob or pendant..... or otherwise vandalised. This one is in pretty good shape, dark toned and otherwise problem free....except for the star countermark in the exergue. i have no clue as to the significance of the mark.

PaquebotsObv.jpg

PaquebotsRev.jpg