CoinPeople.com

Show And Tell

alexbq2

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! Looks like you are getting into medals more and more or am I wrong? Seems OmniCoin has limitation on the images size? Too small. :(

I agree, I should do like Sigi, and create my own inventory site. I do like medals/exonumia, but my appetites are still omnivorous and opportunistic. :)

:) Thank you All! No, I didn't use verdi-care for restoration. It may be useful, in my experience, only on coins that have good field and small problems. I use verdi-care mostly for preservation, applying it in a thin layer to my coins once I am happy with the result of restoration. I described one of my methods earlier in reply to one of Sigi's posts, don't remember in which topic now. Often, it's just trial and error, and sometimes a risky experimentation. There are different things that can be used... Sometime very radical:

post-27191-0-63739800-1384898075_thumb.j

Here is another example of restoration:

post-27191-0-64466900-1428363784_thumb.j

It's like with Coke, if you knew what's in it, you wouldn't try it... Shocking and risky... All three coins approached to with a different angle (acid, EDTA, mechanics, heat and their combinations). In all cases there was total, or close to it, loss of patina (much grieved over), that was restored in 3 different ways (time in the cabinet [the best one], liver of sulphide, restoration liquid, wood oil produce in heat - they combination). Care given to effects to be long-lasting and none-damaging to the end coin... At the very end - verdi-care for conservation... Too lengthy to explain, as there is no-one-universal method for any given coin, best options explored as you go.

See the ugly, "burnt plastic feel" dirty spot on and around the rider? It would spoil the coin's look unless cleaned off, and it was an extreamly difficult to clean. There was no other way of cleaning it off but mechanically at the end, saying bye-bye to patina... Much grieved loss...

• 4 weeks later...

One of the collectors from Czech Republic showed me this medal. Can anyone look this tin medal up in the Diakov medal catalog Part 2 and tell me more about it? Does he list them in tin? Any other info would be appreciated also... Thank you!

attachicon.gif1770 tin medal.jpg

Don't have the book, but most medals were minted in White Metal, Bronze and Silver. Diakov number should be 150.1.

I'm not sure the same idea of Novodels can always be applied to medals. There are medals that were struck significantly after the original with new dies. These can be clearly considered Novodels. Like this one, from the 1892 restrike of the Northern war series:

983046.jpg

Or this copy of the silver award medal struck for collectors:

1029097.jpg

However, regular table medals were always restruck with original dies by the mint at a later date, either for a significant related occasion (e.g. an anniversary of the event), or based on the private request from collectors. So unlike a coin that is clearly dated, and meant to have been struck on that date, medals were not. As such I would refrain from drawing the same distinction between the original and a Novodel as I would with coins.

White metal medal are not very popular in Russia. That is the only reason they are not mentioned in Diakov's books. But as Alex mentioned, most of the early themed copper medals, even the once done with original 18th century dies are restrikes (novodels, if you wish) as well. I am pretty sure that starting with the 19th century copper medals could be originals, in many cases - meaning that they were struck for the occasion being commemorated. Unlike the previous century, where medals for the actual occasion were struck in silver and gold.

It's been a while since I did a "show and tell" here. Very difficult to find material that I can add to my collection these days. Either it is something I don't collect, or it is way too expensive, or it is too expensive for the condition.

Anyway, here are two special Russian coins, one bought about 2 years ago but only recently brought back to Switzerland, and the other from last month (taking advantage of the cheaper Euro). The gold coin used to belong to RW Julian, and that is why it is special to me (aside from the fact that it is in beautiful condition and a rare date to boot). The silver coin is not rare, although it is the slightly scarcer flat strike ... but it is one of the most beautifully preserved specimens of this type I have ever seen with gorgeous toning and very few marks.

Enjoy!

RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1910_ex_RWJ_obv.thumb.jRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1910_ex_RWJ_edge.thumb.RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1910_ex_RWJ_rev.thumb.j

1913_Tercentenary_Rouble_obv.thumb.jpg1913_Tercentenary_Rouble_edge.thumb.jpg1913_Tercentenary_Rouble_rev.thumb.jpg