CoinPeople.com

Show And Tell

alexbq2

What would be the point of overstriking polushka (2.56 g) on old polushka (4.1 g)? I agree, it looks more like new kopeck (10.24 g) on denga (8.19 g). Denga was genuine, the kopeck is not. The only known kopecks' overstrikes are on 1 ore coins, like on this esteem coins:

1_54896b048791a.jpg

I see a few things wrong with this assumed 1 kopeck coin shown by Marsmike. One of the most obvious ones is the location of a spear, it always goes along the arm, not a torso... I for one, would be very excited if not for those signs of a counterfeiting...

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the 1763 EM eagle, very rare for 1774 - Bitkin 623 (R2). The Wolmar catalog Jan.2015 edition quotes it VF $900, XF $3800 (for comparison: the normal 1774 is quoted there in VF $5 and in XF $38).

The coin is honest looking and pretty attractive. Congratulations! :drool:

The first one I remember having seen.

Sigi

attachicon.gifSL746595.JPGAnother recent acquisition for show and tell. Expensive, but attractive in hand.

-marsmike

Very nice coin! Congratulations! I counted some 4 other coins in here http://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/id,4268/prohod.html

with yours being number 5. All discovered in Russia. Where did you find your coin?

This coin was offered to me by a coin dealer who knew I was seriously collecting Russian copper.

All I know is that my dealer friend said it came from another collector, and that the collector clearly knew

what it was and that it was very rare.

Sorry, but that's all the background I have.

-mike

Hi Mike, your profile doesn't tell me if you are in Russia or somewhere else, and if you don't want to disclose your location, it's perfectly fine. All I am interested is if your dealer inside or outside Russia? I just don't believe these coins were known outside Russia until this year (Markov), that's all. Yours may be a second one known. :) GM didn't list them in his catalog, so none to be found in his collection (unless he just didn't list them all)...

First time I find it mentioned is in Diakov (2003), described as "unpublished variant" (R4) "private collection". Diakov's picture shows the same dies as seen with Mike's coin, but the coins are not the same.

Sigi

Sigi, thank you for this additional information. I don't have Diakov's catalogs, but every time it's mentioned I am tempted more and more to buy some of them. :) And I come to understanding that great catalogs don't need advertising, their reputation is the best advertisement.

Hi al,

Pardon if this is general knowledge, I'm rather ignorant on the history of the coinage of this period.

What is the conventional explanation for these die pairings?

Are there any good speculations on why such coins exist?

Why would these eagle dies be retrieved to make coins?

The dies are not particularly attractive or special in any way that I can tell.

It seems rather odd that they would be needed.

Thanks,

-mike

Hi al,

Pardon if this is general knowledge, I'm rather ignorant on the history of the coinage of this period.

What is the conventional explanation for these die pairings?

Are there any good speculations on why such coins exist?

Why would these eagle dies be retrieved to make coins?

The dies are not particularly attractive or special in any way that I can tell.

It seems rather odd that they would be needed.

Thanks,

-mike

My guess would be just the huge mintage volume for these coins. This mule was probably unintentional, just a necessity to keep the production running. A 1770 type die broke, an old die was pulled of the shelf to keep things going.

My guess would be just the huge mintage volume for these coins. This mule was probably unintentional, just a necessity to keep the production running. A 1770 type die broke, an old die was pulled of the shelf to keep things going.

Yes, I also think that's why.

Sigi