CoinPeople.com

Show And Tell

alexbq2

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my pictures are scans. A scan with open scanner lid provides a black background. It is worth a try.

Sigi

Moscow mint eagles had this form in Elizabeth times too, didn't they? Could be a use of old dies from her coins... I see it as possible...

This is my point. Old Elizabeth dies, no mm, 1762/3 date, struck on 1762 10K of Peter III.

Sigi, can you provide an enlarged date as well, from your image?

edit: Bitkin catalogs 1763 no mintmark (R3) under Ekaterinaberg Mint

Hi Josh, this is Igor's coin, not mine and the image was Igor's, too. I already felt uneasy about doing the close up to reveal the star.

As 1763 was the first date with Catherine's cipher it is unlikely to find a 1763/2 overdate. Of course with Russian coins you never know. But Igor's coin does not look like an overdate, either.

Sigi

Not many dies pair got mixed up with the old ones to start with? Or, may be at the very early stage a lot of Elizaveta time dies were used, but with EM introduced to the dies. Only handful didn't get EM punched on them before they went into production, and it was an error that soon enough was corrected?

Sigi,

You can do with the coin image as you wish. No worries there.

Sigi,

You can do with the coin image as you wish. No worries there.

xcWa5A.jpg

Thank you Igor :yes:

Here is a close up of the date. No trace of an overdate IMHO.

Sigi

This is my point. Old Elizabeth dies, no mm, 1762/3 date, struck on 1762 10K of Peter III.

Sigi, can you provide an enlarged date as well, from your image?

edit: Bitkin catalogs 1763 no mintmark (R3) under Ekaterinaberg Mint

Bitkin was mistaken. Compare the eagle on Igor's coin with the MM and EM coins of the same period:

1031608.jpg

I am using Sigi's collection to illustrate (fair use principle!):

5kop1763EMoverstrike2.jpg

5kop1763MMexpl.jpg

As you can see the eagle on the 1763 no m/m is clearly of the type used at the Moscow Mint.

On the other hand the 1765 no m/m is from Ekaterinburgh:

1_4e411fea30b8a.jpg

5kop1765EMexpl.jpg

As such I do not believe that the Elizabeth die's could have been used to produce Igor's coin as those would have had the MM mint mark.

I must agree with you Alex, as I completely forgot, to my shame, that Elizabeth MM mint coins actually had MM under the eagles. That Igor's coin is MM mint I noticed right away, as I am well aware of the eagle shapes now, but I got accustomed to look at the eagles, missing the rest of the coin sometimes. It seems that this coin die for averse was not completed with MMs under eagle, when it was prepared. But WHEN exactly it was prepared is unknown, it could have been prepared for the Elizabeth's coins, and kept in reserve on a shelf, as 180 . 5 kopeks dies later, and were taken off the shelf to be used on Ekaterina's coins, while they forgot to add MM to it. Mistake that was probably corrected very quickly on both occasions in 1763 at MM mint and in 1765 at EM. :art:

Something is very wrong with the overstruck coin mars. I'm certain it's meant to be a polushka overstruck over an older polushka but the details of it is just very wrong.

My best guess is that it's a contemporary counterfeit. That said, it's pretty intriguing.

Polushka should have the rope edge. This coin has net edge, so the original was a denga. My guess is a kopeck made out of a denga, which would make sense for a contemporary counterfeiter as you said.