CoinPeople.com

Why did this place die?

BKB

This is my first time back in about 18 months. Such good minds here. Good to see some of the regulars still here. Lots of us learn from what other post and are relatively quiet. It is a challenge though when prices are high, quantities are scarce, and for most of us, the period of collection ended in 1917. I have no interest in Soviet coins. This is not a market that is easy to enter now.

Been away from collecting for almost 2 years now, and finally had the itch to come back and take a look at what I missed. Noticed right away that prices have shot up significantly, both for Russian coins and banknotes it seems. And like others have mentioned, the supplies that remain seem to be low quality junk rather than worthy pieces. Are prices just going to continue going up and supplies continue to be sucked back into Europe? Not quite sure where this trend is headed, it's not like collecting of Russian coins will die off, it seems it will simply just get harder and harder to get started or continue building a collection.

• 3 weeks later...

Plus, I am intrigued by the situation in Ukraine, so less attention to the coins and more to the politics around my home towns of Kharkov and Sumy.

I think I will pitch a new game to Milton Bradley - 'Hungry Hungry Putin!'

The balls will have names of former Soviet republics, and our illustrious leader will try to gobble them up as quickly as possible. Game will only have single player mode. :)

Plus, I am intrigued by the situation in Ukraine, so less attention to the coins and more to the politics around my home towns of Kharkov and Sumy.

I think I will pitch a new game to Milton Bradley - 'Hungry Hungry Putin!'

The balls will have names of former Soviet republics, and our illustrious leader will try to gobble them up as quickly as possible. Game will only have single player mode. :)

Yet we eagarly collect old coins with the faces of rulers past who succeeded at doing just that.

We are students of History, and now witnessing the latest chapter.

We're getting complaints about the political nature of some recent posts. These kind of discussions are welcome at CoinPeople but should take place in the Community Forum or the General Discussion forum. I'm not going to censor this thread but if the "off topic" discussions continue I'll move it all off to a different forum.