CoinPeople.com

Why did this place die?

BKB

Why did this place die? I miss the nice discussions and some arguments... :(

I don't know. I miss it too.

But there were some good threads very recently (NY Sale, denga research...)

I have also noticed that there are less frequent threads, but usually they are very interesting to read. Must have something to do with the market today in Russian coins, which IMHO is pretty much "kaputt" these days for the average collector -- as opposed to speculants.

Sad, but true. :cry:

I'm going the very opposite direction - lost my job and I'm facing the prospect of selling what I have. This includes some of the rarer coins that you might have seen me discussing and unfortunately everything is on the table. I guess the good side is, what I have stashed are worth something even though they may not be the best condition.

On the positive side, this is one coin that was mixed in a pile of Soviet coin lot that came in a while ago.

1024052.jpg

Some may realize this is a tough key semi key date and rarity wise is exceeded only by 1971, 1972 15 kopek and 1942, 1970 being the key date of the 15 kopek set (except 1958).

This is probably one of the last few discussion related to Russian numismatics coming from me for a while. :( Can't live on coins and I had the pleasure of holding onto some scarce coins.

Why did this place die? I miss the nice discussions and some arguments... :(

Apparently most of Russian speaking members moved their focus to Russian forums as ЦФН, Самара and Старая Монета. On other hand, let us face it, everything in the world has its life cycle: birth, maturity and subsequenty ... death. may be this is what is happening with Russian Coin forum here.

... Must have something to do with the market today in Russian coins, which IMHO is pretty much "kaputt" these days for the average collector -- as opposed to speculants. Sad, but true. :cry:

Hi, bobh, why do you think there is no much Russian coin market in Russia for avarege collector? What do you mean by this? Is it that it is difficult to buy coins due to high prices or the opposite when prices for coins are falling due to lack of interest? I personally see a trend of price falling for coins in average condition and prices for coins in MS condition are at about same price level.

I'm going the very opposite direction - lost my job and I'm facing the prospect of selling what I have. This includes some of the rarer coins that you might have seen me discussing and unfortunately everything is on the table. I guess the good side is, what I have stashed are worth something even though they may not be the best condition.

On the positive side, this is one coin that was mixed in a pile of Soviet coin lot that came in a while ago.

1024052.jpg

Some may realize this is a tough key semi key date and rarity wise is exceeded only by 1971, 1972 15 kopek and 1942, 1970 being the key date of the 15 kopek set (except 1958).

This is probably one of the last few discussion related to Russian numismatics coming from me for a while. :( Can't live on coins and I had the pleasure of holding onto some scarce coins.

Sorry to hear this gx. I've always read and enjoyed your posts. Best of luck in finding a new and better position.

Hi, bobh, why do you think there is no much Russian coin market in Russia for avarege collector? What do you mean by this? Is it that it is difficult to buy coins due to high prices or the opposite when prices for coins are falling due to lack of interest? I personally see a trend of price falling for coins in average condition and prices for coins in MS condition are at about same price level.

I really don't know anything about the market within Russia. All I can see is what is sold in auctions outside of Russia. The best coins are going one-way back to Russia. What is left for collectors like myself is either not very desirable, too expensive, or it is something I already have. If I wanted to start a Russian collection today, it would be nearly impossible.

I can empathize with you GX... I was laid off as well following the economic crash, a few years ago. It really hurt, and hadnt bought a coin since. :sorry: Havent sold off.anything I consider "nice". cant bring myself to do that, :bgrumpy: but I have sold some duplicates. :bwink:

Fortunately, my wife has a steady (but underpaid) job in state government paper pushing, so I tend to my now 5 year old, and have slowly built up a part time business working at home over the magic of the internet. The work comes and goes, and in the meantime i have painted the majority of the inside of my house, and done a little remodeling, done a lot of landscaping, fixed our cars, etc... but at the end of the month, well, lets just say if i want to stay married, I dont buy overpriced russian coins! :hysterical:

I still enjoy taking out my collection, admiring the nice ones, re-organizing my trays, and of course keeping them all clean and shiny, especially the 18th c. silver ones, they really shine up nice with a buffing wheel and polish :shock: ..

I still stalk ebay and the auctions :drool: for the dream coins to fill my empty spaces in my trays..... . you never know! plus the hunt is still half the fun, isnt it? :winner_first_h4h:

meanwhile..... :drinks:

Sorry to hear this gx. I've always read and enjoyed your posts. Best of luck in finding a new and better position.

Ditto - best of luck gx, let us know how we can help.

As a US coin collector, I know nothing about Russian coins despite frequenting this forum. Does anyone want to do a series of introductory threads to Russian collecting? Maybe we can return the favor for the US coins. In the spirit of the Olympics!

Guys, I don't think BKB meant it in a negative way. I believe this forum here should hold it's head high for allowing English speaking members to discuss Russian numismatics. Fair enough, you have other Russian numismatic forums such as staraya moneta, Samara etc but they are not English user friendly.

My apologies for my post earlier but there is a reason why I have been less active here.

The reason I am not as busy on this forum is probably that I am trying to learn as much as I can so I may level with you guys at least a little. :) This forum is one of my homepages though. I always check it out and also feel a little like BKB, a bit sad that not many exciting topics are discussed at present. But I can always do a search and find something interesting here. I can understand that sometimes it is good to relax, change the interests, and give coins some rest, particularly when for a while nothing worthy comes your way for a price you are happy to pay, this may feel a little depressing. So just watch some hockey league games, Olympics or go hiking... I love this forum as I met a lot of interesting, supportive and tolerant people here. GX, I wish you to find a new and better job really soon so you don't have to sell any of your before the revolution coins, best of luck and I'll drink for you once I hear a good news!

Let me tell you what I am up to... that's another reason why I am quiet... I am still trying get my head around Dengas of Anna. Denga's were under-appreciated by me in the past and I kept putting them away to study later. Now I am onto it and my head is spinning. But I think I have a firm understanding now about the different design types. I am somewhat stuck on year 1730 with dengas, but taking it slowly as I am also somewhat busy with my family and kids... Here is one of my coins that was included recently into the online guide for dengas on CFN http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=114568&st=0 :

post-20732-0-32466000-1391527352_thumb.j

It is reasonably rare in condition and in variety, but not as rare as this one from GX:

922780.jpg

these ones are very hard to find... Best of luck to everyone. Look forward to the new exciting topics to discuss with you some time soon!!!

Can you imaging the change once they open the boarder lifting stupid law and let people sell outside the country?

Dream on. This certainly will not happen during our lifetime. Time passes, people there do not change.

Laws are changing such that you cannot now legally import coins that circulated in Cyprus before 1800, nor coins that might have circulated in territorial claims of Bulgaria before 1750 - this is a US law now to stop imports of coins from those places. If US and Russia collaborated more you could see laws prohibiting importing exporting of each other's coins.

As for collecting, I think we all have cycles of collecting. For many years I collected avidly. Now I foresee that most of my collection will be sold in the next few years - already started selling off significant USA coins last year - kids graduating from high school soon and need to pre-fund those college educations expenses.

The reason I am not as busy on this forum is probably that I am trying to learn as much as I can so I may level with you guys at least a little. :) This forum is one of my homepages though. I always check it out and also feel a little like BKB, a bit sad that not many exciting topics are discussed at present. But I can always do a search and find something interesting here. I can understand that sometimes it is good to relax, change the interests, and give coins some rest, particularly when for a while nothing worthy comes your way for a price you are happy to pay, this may feel a little depressing. So just watch some hockey league games, Olympics or go hiking... I love this forum as I met a lot of interesting, supportive and tolerant people here. GX, I wish you to find a new and better job really soon so you don't have to sell any of your before the revolution coins, best of luck and I'll drink for you once I hear a good news!

Let me tell you what I am up to... that's another reason why I am quiet... I am still trying get my head around Dengas of Anna. Denga's were under-appreciated by me in the past and I kept putting them away to study later. Now I am onto it and my head is spinning. But I think I have a firm understanding now about the different design types. I am somewhat stuck on year 1730 with dengas, but taking it slowly as I am also somewhat busy with my family and kids... Here is one of my coins that was included recently into the online guide for dengas on CFN http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=114568&st=0 :

post-20732-0-32466000-1391527352_thumb.j

It is reasonably rare in condition and in variety, but not as rare as this one from GX:

922780.jpg

these ones are very hard to find... Best of luck to everyone. Look forward to the new exciting topics to discuss with you some time soon!!!

Back in 2010 I opened this thread, you might like it: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/29167-some-boring-coins/?hl=boring

Alex, the ones with the big format I'll show on the other forum, if that's OK, as I believe they couldn't find a picture for their guide... If they will be interested to add it, I'll ask you and IgorS for your permition, hope it's OK with you.