CoinPeople.com

Wikipedia's Featured Article of the Day

thedeadpoint

On 9/27/2019 at 4:34 AM, Art1.2 said:

I used to have quite a fascination with Commemoratives. Such beautiful coins and usually such a sordid history to go with it. Had several books about them. One that just had the coins and a brief about each one. Beautiful pictures. And another that was like the Commemorative Tell-all book. Such scandals. 

Me, too. Started collecting a few but that was back when I was collecting a bunch of different things with no discipline. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The questionable past could make for an even more interesting collection. Maybe start with, in your opinion, the most notorious. 

• 2 weeks later...

October 16, 2019 - McKinley Birthplace Memorial gold dollar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinley_Birthplace_Memorial_gold_dollar

McKinley_Birthplace_Memorial_uncirculate1916_McKinley_Birthplace_Memorial_uncirc

These coins were struck in smallish quantities over two years to help finance the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial in Niles, Ohio. They are about as valuable as you'd expect a 100-year old gold commemorative dollar to be, but not much more so than that.

Never owned one of those. In fact, never really owned any of the gold dollar sized coins.