CoinPeople.com

Are coins or banknotes on your holiday wish lists?

thedeadpoint

Are coins or banknotes on your holiday wishlists?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are coins or banknotes on your holiday wishlists?

• Yes, everyone knows I would love to receive coins/banknotes
    • Yes, but only those close to me know
    • Yes, but only my coin friends know
    • No
    • No, but I will be getting some for someone else!

It's been many many years since I put coins on my wishlist. I don't know anyone (besides you guys) who I trust to buy what I'd want :P

What about you? Are coins on your list? Who do you trust to buy them?

No coins on my wish list this year. My family has never been comfortable purchasing coins for me as gifts, even when I'd give them a want list to choose from. (from which to choose :grin: ) I'm not planning on purchasing coins as gifts this year. I'm trying to get Rocky and Rob to start putting some silver away for the future but with their limited incomes it's hard to get them into that. Maybe I should get them each a nice silver bar for Christmas.

Wow... I had completely forgotten what it was like... but, yes, I will give numismatic items to others, now that you mentioned it... Gee...

The thing is that I stopped collecting in 2001. I am a writer. I really do not have the "missing gene" for collecting. (Former Krause editor and president and former ANA President Clifford Mishler called collecting "a gene you do not inherit." In other words, collectors are a special kind of person, and it may not run in families.) So, I did not think about a "numismatic Christmas" beyond my annual "Newtonmas" post.

Thanks for mentioning it. Like Scrooge sending the boy for the goose, I will make this a numismatic Christmas for someone else.

No, no, no... I need to choose them myself, looking for that ineffable something that makes me choose one coin over another essentially identical one. If I were to want numismatic gifts, it would be in the form of supplies and folders, not coins... gift certificates to my LCS being a possible exception. :D

I'm sitting it out this year. I don't have the time or patience right now to shop for something and get it shipped in time. Too much other stuff going on in my life.

I used to tell people (who weren't collectors!) not to buy coins for me for presents. Invariably they'd pull some overpriced piece of trash out of the Sunday supplements; not only is it more than likely junk (on their budget), they paid way too much for it. I'd be cringing inside as I put a piece of junk aside knowing they'd wasted a bunch of money on it.

I have sometimes made a gift of a coin that would have some particular significance to the recipient even though they aren't collectors... e.g., a coin from the German city where they were born. That sort of thing. (But at least I didn't egregiously overpay for it.)

If I were close enough to a coin collector that we were into exchanging gifts, and we knew each other's tastes, it'd be a different story.