CoinPeople.com

German Collector Coins 2007

tabbs

that design makes me see stars :ninja:

Errm, yes. Besides, the obverse needs to be rotated 90º counter-clockwise methinks. :lol:

Then you can see the "map" with the original six member states "elevated" in the center, with Northern Germany at the top and Sicily at the bottom. Countries that joined the EEC (and then EU) after 1957 are displayed a little more subtly ...

Christian

More like this, you mean....

Inderdaad. :ninja: Well, that "map theme" by itself is not exactly thrilling, and neither is the abundance of stars. But maybe the jury wanted to pick something that is different from the Treaty document with the signatures, and also reflects that the EU of 2007 is different from the EEC of 1957 ...

Christian

• 5 weeks later...

Next year's €100 gold coin, part of the series of World Cultural Heritage cities, will feature Lübeck. It is scheduled for October 2007. The "Holstentor" city gate, which can also be found on this year's €2 commem, can be seen in the center, along with the characteristic seven towers of the old town.

Here are the winners of the design competition. The first (top) one is the design that will be minted (B. Broschat). Further below are the runner-ups designed by O. Kukula, U. Böhme, and H.J. Dobler.

luebeckzj1.jpg

(Images from the design competitions website, gold colorized versions by bukanier from emuenzen.de)

Earlier issues were Quedlinburg, ST (2003), Bamberg, BY (2004) and Weimar, TH (2006). After Lübeck, SH (2007) the series will be continued with Goslar, NI (2008).

Christian

Edited by tabbs

Yes, I like that one too. And in about a year from now I can tell whether I like the real thing too. :ninja: These are the planned release dates for the German 2007 commemorative and collector coins - note that Elizabeth is at the very end ...

January 18:

€10 silver - Saarland joins the Federal Republic (50 years ago)

February 2:

€2 - German States: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern *

March 1:

€10 silver - Treaties of Rome (signed 50 years ago)

March 25:

€2 - Treaties of Rome (signed 50 years ago) *

June 14:

€10 silver - Wilhelm Busch (born 175 years ago)

August 9:

€10 silver - 50 years Deutsche Bundesbank (design not known yet)

October 1:

€100 gold - Unesco Cultural Heritage: Lübeck

November 8:

€10 silver - Elizabeth of Thuringia (born 800 years ago)

(* These commemorative coins - total mintage about 30 million per issue - are legal tender in Euroland. The silver and gold collector coins are legal tender in Germany only.)

Christian

• 1 month later...
August 9:

€10 silver - 50 years Deutsche Bundesbank (design not known yet)

Well, now it is. A fairly modern design:

009,property=default.jpg

Such "abstract" themes are usually more difficult to visualize than somebody's 200th birthday or so. This one I find -- hmm, not thrilling but interesting. In front of a diagram-style background (which represents the five decades) you see a scale with, on the left, monetary aspects of economy (gold, paper, coins) and, on the right, buildings representing businesses. The design suggests that the Bundesbank contributes to the right balance of the two ...

Christian

Next year's €100 gold coin, part of the series of World Cultural Heritage cities, will feature Lübeck. It is scheduled for October 2007. The "Holstentor" city gate, which can also be found on this year's €2 commem, can be seen in the center, along with the characteristic seven towers of the old town.

Here are the winners of the design competition. The first (top) one is the design that will be minted (B. Broschat). Further below are the runner-ups designed by O. Kukula, U. Böhme, and H.J. Dobler.

luebeckzj1.jpg

(Images from the design competitions website, gold colorized versions by bukanier from emuenzen.de)

Earlier issues were Quedlinburg, ST (2003), Bamberg, BY (2004) and Weimar, TH (2006). After Lübeck, SH (2007) the series will be continued with Goslar, NI (2008).

Christian

Man if only I were rich. :ninja:

Man if only I were rich. :ninja:

Hmm, then you would own even more coins than you currently have? ;) Actually I do not collect gold, with veeery few exceptions such as these Cultural Heritage coins. The initial price of each piece is what you pay for 0.5 oz gold, plus €25. Not "cheap" of course, but the price sounds OK to me. As long as the gold price is constant or goes up, fine ...

Christian

• 2 months later...

The "Treaty of Rome" silver coin is now available. (Note: This is not the €2 commemorative coin - that one will be issued in about three weeks - but the €10 collector coin.) Did not have that much time this week, but in case anybody is interested, let me know.

Christian

• 6 months later...
Man if only I were rich. ;)

Well, these days the gold coins sure cost more. Those €100 pieces (1/2 oz) are always issued at the price of gold (on a specified date shortly before the date of issue) plus a €25 supplement. The first one, from 2002, was €193 - those were the days ... :ninja:

Last year's coin (Weimar) was issued at €263; this year's piece (Lübeck) will cost yesterday's gold price + €25. And we get to a whopping total of €285. Brrrrr.

Christian

I see that Elisabeth of Thuringia coin is going to be released ca. November 2007, it is one I think I would like. :ninja:

Order duly noted. ;) That coin will be issued on 8 November. By the way, Elizabeth was born in Hungary, and the Hungarian Mint will issue a 5000 Forint silver piece on that occasion: http://www.penzvero.hu/actimgview?63 Will come out in November too.

Christian