CoinPeople.com

German Collector Coins 2007

tabbs

(A little early, I know ...) Due to the new series of €2 commemorative coins, German will only issue four €10 collector coins in 2007. The planned issues are:

Wilhelm Busch (born 175 years ago)

Treaties of Rome (signed 50 ears ago)

Elizabeth of Thuringia (born 800 years ago)

Saarland joins the Federal Republic (50 years ago)

In addition to these four silver coins, there will also be a €100 gold coin (Unesco Cultural Heritage series) and a €2 coin (German States series). The latter will be legal tender in all euro countries.

Christian

(A little early, I know ...) Due to the new series of €2 commemorative coins, German will only issue four €10 collector coins in 2007. The planned issues are:

In addition to these four silver coins, there will also be a €100 gold coin (Unesco Cultural Heritage series) and a €2 coin (German States series). The latter will be legal tender in all euro countries.

Christian

Thats pretty cool. I've always wanted to collect a state series from another country...and maybe I'll start with Germany ;)...Now...I just have to figure out how to get my hands on them :ninja: lol

P.S. German coins are almost, or if not, as hard, or if not, harder than collecting Russian coins :ninja:

I have a nightmare trying to assemble a decent Russian coin set >_<

Really? I find German coins much more available than say Czech coins, which I am extremely partial to but there's a limit as to how many you can find.

Indeed, that is true. You can find German coins easily, but the question is, if you want to assemble a whole set, you are probably looking at more than some... I guess 200+ type of coins easily? (excluding all the common dates, etc)

I mean, the only reason why Germany has so many different types of coins is only if you included all the previous German states, which makes it quite impossible to collect... :|

I have seen a German coin catalogue and I just gave up collecting German coins after seeing how many there are. :ninja:

I mean, the only reason why Germany has so many different types of coins is only if you included all the previous German states, which makes it quite impossible to collect... :|

A question of definition :-) Elsewhere I wrote about collecting the coins from my country - and that is the Federal Republic of Germany which was founded in 1949. Of course I also have some older pieces from earlier times, but that is not my primary area of collecting.

Christian

OH Christian, you must know how upset I was when I was in Germany while I was still a kid. :lol:

As you know, I went there when there was still marks and pfennigs. And obviously, I tried to collect all the possible 2 marks and 5 marks commemorative coins... little to know that there was at least 6 of them in total I think, and you know, that's fairly a bit of money there. :ninja:

And the funniest thing I remembered was that, I saw a coinshop in Berlin (I think!!!) and saw all the various German coins, that was definately older than 1950s, and I was wondering... why can I not find that 10 mark coins anywhere... And that was the time when I didn't understand that proof coins meant, nor what collectors' coins meant. ;)

But yes, if you removed the gold, trial and other "expensive" coins, a Republic German coin collection is perfectly possible. ;)

OH Christian, you must know how upset I was when I was in Germany while I was still a kid. :lol:

As you know, I went there when there was still marks and pfennigs. And obviously, I tried to collect all the possible 2 marks and 5 marks commemorative coins... little to know that there was at least 6 of them in total I think, and you know, that's fairly a bit of money there. :ninja:

And the funniest thing I remembered was that, I saw a coinshop in Berlin (I think!!!) and saw all the various German coins, that was definately older than 1950s, and I was wondering... why can I not find that 10 mark coins anywhere... And that was the time when I didn't understand that proof coins meant, nor what collectors' coins meant. ;)

But yes, if you removed the gold, trial and other "expensive" coins, a Republic German coin collection is perfectly possible. ;)

When I was in Germany I collected up all the silver 5 and 10 marks I could get from banks, exchanges etc. I sold them off gradually many years later, but now again I have a 750th anniversary of Berlin, notable for the "Erwiger" pfennig on it. I like coins on coins.

but now again I have a 750th anniversary of Berlin, notable for the "Erwiger" pfennig on it.  I like coins on coins.

Me too, and I have that coin too :-) However, it was issued by the GDR (East G.) in 1981, on the occasion of the 700th anniversary of the Berlin mint. City jubilee coins, dated 1987, were issued by both the Federal Republic and the GDR.

My first GDR coins I bought solely because I find the idea of the same occasion commemorated on coins from different countries, such as Einstein on GDR and Swiss coins. Later I got some more, but, like the coins from Saarland which also joined the Federal Republic (see first message), they are not part of my Fed. Rep. collection ...

But where one draws the line is up to the collector, I think. When it comes to German coins, 1871 is also a good starting point. And theoretically you could go back to Charlemagne or rather the Treaty of Verdun 843 :ninja:

Christian

But where one draws the line is up to the collector, I think. When it comes to German coins, 1871 is also a good starting point. And theoretically you could go back to Charlemagne or rather the Treaty of Verdun 843  :ninja:

Christian

Actually I shy from the post 1918 coinage and go more for Hamburg and Bavaria, but then I have a particular interests in those areas anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Thats pretty cool. I've always wanted to collect a state series from another country...and maybe I'll start with Germany ;)...Now...I just have to figure out how to get my hands on them :ninja: lol

Closer to home for you would be the Canadian province/territories series, and affordable to boooot.

• 1 year later...

Here are pictures of the winning designs. Sorry for the different image sizes (due to the different sources) - the actual coins will all have the same size. :ninja:

Saarland

saarland,property=default.jpg

Wilhelm Busch

1Preis__Bild,property=default.jpg

Elizabeth of Thuringia

006,property=default.jpg

The "Treaties of Rome" design is not known yet. Maybe the jubilee will be commemorated on the €2 coin "only"; we will see. And there will also be a €10 coin dedicated to 50 years Deutsche Bundesbank; no winning design yet.

Christian

Are there any shops around Aachen? Or do I have to drive to Koln or Bonn to find one? I have yet to see a shop in Germany, but I have found some in The Netherlands. I would like to pick some of those up.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, You must follow the procedure

The newly issued €10 coins are usually available at any Bundesbank branch office. In Aachen that would be this address:

Römerstr. 50, 52064 Aachen

Tel. 0241 474020

The nice thing is, you get them at face value. Problem is their opening hours for the general public - something like mon-fri 8.30-12.30 or so. Also, they will usually have the latest issue (or maybe two latest) only.

Regular banks and savings banks may have them too, but you should ask first. Commercially it does not make sense for them to "sell" coins at face, but some offer that service.

Don't know about coin dealers in Aachen; the dealers directory in the "MünzenRevue" magazine does not list any. (But they don't list a place here in Düsseldorf that I sometimes go to either. :ninja: ) Cologne would be a better place - or an Internet dealer maybe ...

Christian

THanks I will probably drive over to Cologne mittwoch and check it out, thanks for the info.

Ciao, and Hook 'em`Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Future Houston Mayor

This is a long time ago now, back in 1993, but there was a coin dealer near the Koln Dom when I was there. I was too busy drying off from getting soaking wet in a sudden thunderstorm to go visit though :ninja:

Just checked the MR dealers list ... there is "Kroha Münzkabinett" (Neven-DuMont-Str. 15, Tel. 0221 2574238, open 10-13 and 15-18) and "Münzen- und Medaillengalerie Knoppek" (Alter Markt 55, Tel. 0221 253600, http://www.muenzhandel.de/ ), both in downtown Cologne. These two seem to be "walk in" stores.

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...