CoinPeople.com

Toned Coins

Grifter

Ok, I'm starting this thread because toned coins are my new favorite thing. This thread will be for posting pics of any toned coins that you would like to share. Also, it is for any experiments that you have done that work for toning coins.(And yes I do know that there was a similar thread that kryptonit started, but I'm just going to start it again).

Yesterday, I tried the experiment on ATCoins.com on 2 state quarters. I did this at like 7:00, so I wasn't able to check on it until 6:30 this morning. The coins were ugly. The Virginia one was covered with black crap that came off. The California actually looks kinda cool. It has some purple and blue in the middle of the reverse, which fades into some gold color. But the obverse is black with some blue. I'll post pics if I get around to it.

So this morning, I used the same eggs, etc. to do the experiment with some silver. I chose to do it with a 64-D dime. I left it in from 6:50 to 3:30. It is pretty much a bluish color with some yellow in it. Looks ok, but I have another experiment going right now that will take about a week to complete.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Bake those quarters in the oven and you might get some pretty colors...not at all natural looking, though. :ninja:

Note: Not responsible for burns or any caustic gases released from the coins. ;)

I know of another good one , Gun Blue which is used to finish firearms. You can get it at your local Walmart..

Yeah, Patrick did an experiment with some Lincolns with different chemicals he uses on his guns to see how corrosive, etc they were. Some came out butt ugly but some came out cool.

I posted in the other thread about different coin toning experiments. Can anyone direct Grifter and myself to some other ones? I've got the time but need the knowledge.

Earlier I found some ammonia laying around the bathroom so I soaked a penny, nickel, and dime in it and then just left three more to be exposed to the vapors in a closed container. If it doesn't work, oh well. Doesn't bother me :ninja:

Edit: Just checked. The Lincolns are BLACK (imagine that). The other coins are starting to show signs of a very, very, very light blue and gold. One dime is black as well.

I accidentally left a 40% Silver Ike Proof that was stuck in an airtite in the freezer over night and it turned a few nice shades of blue that would rub off I'm sure but stuck around. Not sure what it would do if left there longer.

So...  I was doing some reading and read that prolonged use of acetone can lead to kidney failure...  You gotta tell me these kind of things Tiff, lol.

Mercury can kill you too but how many of our parents played with it in school and they are fine?

Acetone is fine as long as the area is well ventilated. Do it outdoors if possible. I keep my ammonia and stuff outside until I need it. Heck, I used it for about three hours yesterday in lab. Stuff would eat through just about anything.

Archived