CoinPeople.com

show us your canadian silver dollars

thedollarman

• 4 weeks later...

Cannot show mine: technical problems. However, I do have a story...

In 1991-1993 and again in 1997, I taught factory automation for automotive production in and around Detroit. I started with Kawaski Robotics; Ford Motor Company was our largest client. Later, I worked for Carl Zeiss and GM was the buyer of their coordinate measuring machines. Most of my client learners were UAW skilled trades. I started off teaching the way I had been taught K-12 and college -- and it did not go well.

I thought that the problem was that I did not know enough about manufacturing. So, I took a community college class. We had to write a term paper, of course; and it seemed easiest to write about training. It was then that I discovered that in the library the books about training are nowhere near the books on education. I joined the American Society for Training and Development and changed my style.

Many of my client learners were from Canada. And most of them, being from Detroit, Minneapolis, and Buffalo were aware of Canada.

So, after the usual sign-ins and orientations, I started the classes by showing a Canadian silver dollar. I held up the reverse. "The Canadian silver dollar shows two men in a canoe. One is a native, the other is a Voyageur. In the canoe if you use a magnifier you can see that the bundles have HB for Hudson's Bay Company on them. The two men had the same goals, the same tools, but the native knew the lay of the land. That's what I am here for."

Things went better from there.