CoinPeople.com

1892 Half Crown - Victoria Jubilee Head (Toned!)

brg5658

Yesterday was my first time to the MOON Show in the Minneapolis, MN area. It is the largest show in the state of Minnesota for the year, and I went with no particular idea of what to expect. After my normal "one-time-through browse", I stopped back at the few tables that caught my eye. In the end, I only purchased one coin for the day, but it was one that was on my want-list for quite some time.

I found this nice example (pictured below) of a Half Crown that features the small rendition of St. George Slaying the Dragon on the reverse splitting the date. The fact that St. George is on a horse is one draw for my collecting niche -- another draw is that I simply have a hard time saying no to a coin with this amount of eye appeal that also pictures Queen Victoria. It was a nice perk that it was also a better date of the small half crown Jubilee Head series.

Sorry for the scuffed up slab -- I did as much buffing as I could, but a few scuffs still remain and can be seen in my pictures below. She is safely housed in a PCGS older green label holder, and graded as MS64 (which I agree with).

Thanks for looking! :bhyper:

-Brandon

1892_GreatBritain_HalfCrown_GTG_obv_zpsd

1892_GreatBritain_HalfCrown_GTG_rev_zpsf

Interesting toning, is it natural? :confus:

Define natural(?). It is likely from the original issue "so-called specimen set" packaging. They came with velvet type lining, similar to Maundy sets. Now, is it artificial since that packaging outgassed? My personal opinion is that this coin toned naturally over 90+ years of being maintained in its original packaging. Also, the toning is stable as this coin was graded and encapsulated over 15 years ago.

Do you define "artificial toning" only to be that which is accomplished with the intent of being misleading and causes very quick toning changes? There is nothing about the toning of this coin that looks "artificial" to my eye -- and I have seen thousands of toned coins. The argument of "natural" versus "artificial" toning is somewhat arbitrary.

In the end, this coin has been deemed market acceptable, and that's what matters if I were to ever sell it. That being said, I have no intent on selling this coin in the next 40+ years. :yes:

Define natural(?).

As in a natural process associated with the 'normal' handling and storing of a coin as opposed to specific chemicals or processes deliberately applied to a coin to achieve such an aesthetic. I cannot recall ever having seen one such as this that was a result of processes that one would assume to have taken place in the hands of a dealer or collector, that is all.

Glad to hear you're in it for the long haul and have no intention of selling it. It's well photographed, too. :)

The coloring fits the progression patterns of thin-film interference on silver surfaces (physics of optics) that leads me to my conclusion that the toning on the surfaces developed over a long period of time and via natural processes.

You may find this link interesting (or maybe not). :confus:

Thanks for the kind remarks regarding my photography. It is another of my hobbies, and it highly enhances my enjoyment of the hobby of numismatics. :)

Nice coin.

Toning always worries me, but, then there is an old joke about the collector who did not like that toned coin and wanted one blast white instead... so the dealer goes in back and comes out with one brilliant and shiny.... "No, I guess I liked the other one better."

The excellent photograph presents a Mint State coin. Very pretty.

The coloring fits the progression patterns of thin-film interference on silver surfaces (physics of optics) that leads me to my conclusion that the toning on the surfaces developed over a long period of time and via natural processes.

You may find this link interesting (or maybe not). :confus:

Thanks for the kind remarks regarding my photography. It is another of my hobbies, and it highly enhances my enjoyment of the hobby of numismatics. :)

Always love when my materials science gets discussed in the forums!

• 2 months later...