CoinPeople.com

Coins from Venice?

cashier

Post-Medieval copper-alloy bagattinos, probaly 15th-16th century. Anonymous issues,(ITALY - VENEZIA VENICE - BAGATTINO R.C L.A. 1518 - 1631 MADONNA AND CHILD)

Obverse R. C.- L. A. for Regno Coeli Laetare Alleluia (Kingdom of Heaven, rejoice, alleluia); Half-length facing figure of Madonna with Child on right.

Reverse: Facing nimbate Lion of St. Mark in square, with a rosette in each outer segment.

For another example with different letters in exegue( B M)

The coin probably saw the Battle of Lepanto. If it was not there at the moment, whoever held it cared about the outcome and rejoiced in the victory. The issue of bronze is interesting: in this case, as it indicates a general prosperity in Venice. Bronze can be a hard-times currency, but I believe that Venice was clearly doing well.

I know the coins are not very good conditions. But I'm should be greatful if someone know age, state (Venice) and other interesting information about this coins. I have two more in one more topic.

Regards

cashier

It should be a BEZZO of 6 bagattini) look at the following:

(copper 3,89 G) Law of 22 January 1605

Obverse: Half-length facing Madonna with Child on right, R. C. - L. A. arching from upper left to upper right, value '6' in exergue

Reverse: Half-length facing figure of St. Mark

I know the coins are not very good conditions. But I'm should be greatful if someone know age, state (Venice) and other interesting information about this coins. I have two more in one more topic.

Regards

cashier

Obverse: Half-length facing Madonna with Child on right, R. C. - L. A. arching from upper left to upper right, value '6' in exergue

I have it at home :)))

bezzo venice F compressed.jpg

bezzo venice R compresso.jpg

I have it at home :)))

You have posted a Bezzo but Cashier posted 2 one bagattino coins, the reverse on his have the haloed, winged Venetian Lion within a frame, a rose in each quadrant........ and in the obverse exergue are initials 'F Z' on one & 'S(?) C' on the other, not '6'. F Z were the initials of a mintmaster Francesco Zusto(1543-44) but his coins used a slightly different reverse, the lion was not in a frame, hence this type are called anonymous issues because they just imitated the official coins, here is the description of the first of the type struck, with A V in the exergue.Bagattino.jpg