CoinPeople.com

The World's Smallest Coin Collectors?

constanius

A car wash in Frederick , Maryland was losing so much money from their Auto Cashier that they set up a camera to catch the thief, or thieves. Well they were in for quite a surprise, there were multiple thieves who entered by the return coin slot and exited with quarters. They found most of the missing money on the roof of the car wash & some hidden by a nearby tree, it might have been just small change but it totaled over $4,000!

1-horz-vert.jpg

Hey everyone I found an addition to this story. And the reason why they we're doing it.

He returned with his camera and succeeded in snapping about 18 pictures of the burglars — a small flock of starlings, as it turned out — emptying coins out of the machine so they could build a nest in the machine. "They were working as a gang," Ridings told the Free Lance-Star. "It was just fun to actually see it going on."

A nest in the machine? Are they sure the birds weren't just looking for a change-ing room? :D

It does bring a whole new meaning to 'finding new living quarters', doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, the truth is a bit different. As so often, Snopes had the story.

It is from 2002.

It is from Fredericksburg, Virginia, not Frederick, Maryland

The birds were not nesting in the machine.

The owner did not find $4000 on the roof.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carwash.asp

(Other birds are also attracted to shiny objects. And it is still an interesting story.)

Oddly enough this reminds me of a pet I had. A long time ago I found one of those injured in my yard. Took it in and used an old Parakeet cage to help nurse it back to health. My parents thought I was nuts trying to save a bird of the kind you see all over the place. Yet in time it got healthy. If got so tame it sat on my shoulder like a parakeet. Eventually I tried to let it fly away but just wouldn't leave. The similarity with this story is coins from around the house kept appearing in the cage. Watches, rings, coins, anything shinny would get picked up and put in the cage. From what I later read about these birds is they just like to collect STUFF. May have been a coin collector in a previous life.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! That was a nice story. I wish the "Like this" button worked.

• 4 weeks later...