CoinPeople.com

Help a rookie with Ikes...

Kings Bluff

Ok, I have a dollar coin. It was actually given to me by a passenger. She boarded and handed it to me saying, "This is for good luck!" I tossed it in my flight bag seven years ago and haven't crashed a jet yet. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Cleveland (as I type this). I figured I'd pull it out and figure it out. I start searching for answers on the web, and am throughly exhausted with trying to figure out first of all what it's worth, and also understand Ikes in general since clearly it's a confusing subject. From what I can tell, my standard circulated 1977 D Ike is worth no more than good luck in my flight bag (a few bucks). Someone give me the run down on these things...

Thanks!

Wikipedia actually has a nice writeup on Eisenhower Dollars. Here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenhower_dollar

You might want to pick up a Red Book and read through it a bit. You'll find some very nice info on US series going all the way back to day 1 and before. It's a small book and rather easy to carry around with you.

Ok, $1. Probably better off trading it for 100 copper pennies. That's about what I figured. I did read that they're becoming more popular to collectors due to limited years. I think I'll keep it in the collection since I own it already. Thanks for the info.

Yeah I like those coins and own about three or four of them (every beginner should have a Bicentennial dollar and/or half dollar)... you could probably see some dealers who will sell them for $1.50-2 or a little more depending on condition but you would hard pressed to get much more than legal tender for them. Keep em for show.

I've got a dozen Ikes sitting on my desk right now. 5 see regular service as counters for my exercise routines.