CoinPeople.com

Greetings from a new member!

Hello. My name is Josh, and I'm very happy to be here. Although I'm fairly new to coins & collecting, I have been into copper bullion for a few years, and also collect copper decorations. Living in Arizona, it was hard to ignor copper everywhere I looked. Now, back living in MN, I'm considering coin collecting for a few reasons. First of all, I have two young girls who are expressing interest in collecting. I figured coins would be an affordable, easy family activity to get involved with. I admire coins as well as the history behind them, and think this could be something which appeals to us all. I look forward to being a part of this online community, learning everything I can about coins, and building a family collection of our own.

Josh

Something else I thought I would add :

When I was a kid,,, my Grandmother gave my Dad a little box. She gave him one every birthday. Eventually I asked my Dad what exactly these were, to discover they were nothing but an annual U.S. Proof Set. Pretty cool. I followed my Dad to his closet where he carried the little box. He showed me where tucked in the back of his closet was a proof set from every year since he was born in 1947! He literally had taken each box and stacked it on the last one right in that spot since the house was built in 1972. This memory probably comes from about the late 80's to early 90's. My Dad also showed me his penny collection. He had the standard cardboard cutouts with a bunch of pennies from various years. Of course many were missing, but I always thought the steel pennies of his were especially neat.

A couple years ago, my parents were going through some hard times. Dad's pension had shrunk, their social security hadn't kicked in yet, they were spending beyond their budget, and found themselves in a pinch. I can hardly believe it, but at one point, having a heart to heart with my Dad, he disclosed to me that he had sold his entire coin collection. I was shocked! I realize they weren't necessarily rare or valuable beyond standard proof set value,,, but this was a collection dating back to the 40's! I had to know. I asked Dad what he sold them for. He replied he had sold the lot of them to a collector for $700.00. I said no way. No way he was pinched for $700.00!!! Yes in fact,,, my own Dad, in his mid 60's was struggling, and sold his beloved collection...

So,,, one of my goals here with my new hobby,,, is not just for my own pleasure, or the pleasure of the family activity,,, but also for Dad. Now that I'm an adult, and can afford to replace some of Dad's collection, I'm not even sure if he would care at this point. I'm sure however he would find great satisfaction in knowing I and the girls are starting to collect coins. Maybe I'll just find some nice condition 1947 coins and give to Dad. Now of course,,, he's worked it all out with a financial adviser, and finally begun to figure out his personal finances. I guess we all go through those moments in life.

Here's to you Dad...

Welcome to CoinPeople and coin collecting. I hope that you and the kids enjoy this wonderful hobby. Sorry about what happened to your Dad but that money may have made a great difference to him at that point in time. One of the nice things about this hobby. If you purchase reasonably over a period of time you will almost always build value. I've personally sold my collection twice in my life and always made good use of the money. It can be a nice store of wealth.

Josh,

You might want to take a look at the auctions forum here. Corina has an auction running right now that your girls might get a big kick out of. BIN - buy it now - is like 20 cents and there's no postage at that price.

Josh,

You might want to take a look at the auctions forum here. Corina has an auction running right now that your girls might get a big kick out of. BIN - buy it now - is like 20 cents and there's no postage at that price.

That's a riot! We'll have to check it out...

Josh

I'm planning a stop by my favorite hobby shop on Saturday for supplies! I know it's not the cheapest, but I want to support the local guys. So what should I get? I'm thinking some cardboard squares (or whatever you call them), a nice box to hold them, and maybe some coin cards to start collecting stabdard change by year. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have to get them out of the Crown Royal bag... ;D

As I mentioned in another thread - you might want to get a Red Book while you're there. Great reading material. Have a good time at the shop and be sure to check out their bargains bin, if they have one. One of my favorite activities is going through these bins and finding all kinds of treasures.