CoinPeople.com

PHOTOES OF ALEXANDRA AND KING EDWARD COIN.

jackie

This is a commemorative medal for Edward VII accession to the English throne, it is not listed in the standard reference "British Historical Medals" by Brown.

Queen Victoria died on the 22nd Jan 1901, Edward Became King on that day but he took the oaths of sovereignty the day after. So some of the medals issued give the date he ascended to the throne as 22nd, some as 23rd(which is wrong) but yours gives the 25th which is totally wrong. Not the first or last medal to have a date error. But being unlisted & wrongly date does make it more collectible.

It would have been issued by a private company, I would guess in either Birmingham or London.

Mistakes on medals are just a fact of life, perhaps the engravers liked a lunchtime pint or two!

Unfortunately the cheaply made unofficial Edward accession or coronation medals never go for much. There are not too many collectors for the number of medals available. One just sold on Ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1901-King-Edward-VII-Ascension-Medal-/200870130418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec4caf2f2&_uhb=1 It only reached $10. Perhaps it might have gone a touch higher if the seller had pointed out the date error.

Hi your information has been brilliant most helpful. Thank you. I will put mine on e-bay and mention the details you gave me. would I put it under error coins ?.

It would probably fare better in the Exonmuia>Medals category with 'Error' noted in the title.