CoinPeople.com

Could one collector make a difference in price?

detz

Of course... ;)

Your collections take some time to acquire GD, you'll never hold out. The urge to share a picture of your new coins would eat away at you until you could stand it no longer! And we'll all be sat here waiting... wuhaha.

You are an evil person. I may just have to post some pics of coins with lots red toning as punishment :ninja:

< So to still own a uncracked set is going to be rare. I don't know the exact numbers, but lets say they made 750,000 silver proof sets in '99. if half of those sets get cracked open and sent to 3rd party grading companies. And demand has increased for a complete set, the value goes up. The more sets that get cracked open, the price will continue to climb. >

Except starting in 1999 they stopped sealing the proof sets. You can open and close them without a trace. So if a submission doesn't come back as a high enough grade, you just put them back in the holder and sell the "unopened" set again. And if the price starts to really climb you can always create some more by putting clad coins into the empty silver holders that did come back at the high grade. Really, how many people can tell by looking at an "unopened" proof set whether the coins in it are silver or clad? I bet a lot of people can't.

Archived