CoinPeople.com

Alexander III 25 Kopecks 1894 - mintage?

ultra

Hello,

I bought such kind of coin recently and wondering what's the mintage of it. Previous issues seem to have vary low mintages, but I can't find any information on the 1894 one, which is the most common, but still quite expensive and rare.

Hello,

I bought such kind of coin recently and wondering what's the mintage of it. Previous issues seem to have vary low mintages, but I can't find any information on the 1894 one, which is the most common, but still quite expensive and rare.

A few years ago I read somewhere that quite some 1894 25kopeks were minted posthumously as the tsar had been very popular. Mintage is not given in Russian guide books like Wolmar or Konros, which means that it is not known. I think the 1894 coin is not rare but every collector wants it because it's the only affordable date of this type.

Sigi

-

I am not home, but I will check its mintage later, the rest, I agree with Sigi

A few years ago I read somewhere that quite some 1894 25kopeks were minted posthumously as the tsar had been very popular. Mintage is not given in Russian guide books like Wolmar or Konros, which means that it is not known. I think the 1894 coin is not rare but every collector wants it because it's the only affordable date of this type.

Sigi

-

Heh heh heh. Mine was an 1893.

• 5 weeks later...

In his book on the Russian silver coinage Bob Julian points out that the 1894 25 Kopeck coin was continued to be minted well into 1895, when the dies for the new 25 Kopeck Nicholas II coin were ready. Most probably this is the reason why the mintage figure isn't mentioned anywhere. By the way, the same applies to the 1894 50 Kopeck coin.