CoinPeople.com

another crazy grab bag find

wabnoles

I was up in Thomasville, GA making my first ever coin hunt out there when I came across a cabinet of old coins at an antique shop. Most of the stuff were overpriced as it tends to be in those places but what caught my eye was a bag of nickels titled "war time nickels $1 face value" and they were priced at $15... these were all around a good rating but I know enough about silver coins to know that if you find waritme nickels online for around $2 its a good price and these were at 75 cents each. Well after going thru the coins, I found that three of them were non silver 1941 and 42 varieties but the other 17 were all silver. I essentially bought 17 silver nickels for $14.85, which essentially makes them 88 cents apiece. IMG_20130727_205044.JPG

You know I look around a lot on the internet and see these sellers offering rather common coins for uncommonly high prices and I always wonder how these guys ever sell anything if they sell anything at all. There's a difference between someone who is selling to make a living and someone who is selling just to unload a few coins I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice going, I never find any good coin in those stores but I do look at them.

You just never know when you find the bargan. I always look thru the dealer junk boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think exceptions can be made to that... there are a number of coin shops or places that sell coins (such as pawn shops) that I know have bad reputations of exploiting customers both in what they'll pay for items and what they'll sell them for. I am just joining a coin club here in town and have found a number of hobbyists such as myself who are often looking to sell or trade off a couple items here and there. The money I drop on their stuff I feel much better about.