CoinPeople.com

3 Kopecks 1917 on Stacks. What is your opinion?

Cheburgen

could be an alteration. But, could be those fake dies made from 07 and then changed to press this thing. Stupid grading services that slab fakes, but won't give a grade to an original that has "excessive hairlines" Wonder if someone buys it... Will be another "lucky" guy.

Nice fake, if you can say that about fake. I don't like the stars. Other than that, just by looking at the pictures, I can not find much difference from the real coins of other years, so I guess I would be fooled by it. Edge examination is a must in these coins. You can not do this in slabbed coins, unless a special slab is used. I wouldn't risk anything over $100.

It looks different from the common fakes:

if you read carefully the whole thread there (sister forum), they have a proof that this is a fake

EugeneG, thank you for the link!

This picture, to compare coin in question to 3 k from Kazakov had a different effect on me:

It actually showed me that my original suspicion based on star shapes is not substantiated. They do look the same.

Due to toning and light / photo effect, the 7-s look somewhat different, but, again, I would not draw the line, and would

blame that very unprofessional toning and light combination for ambiguous look. One should examine it "live" before

passing a final judgement.

To see a picture of "matochnik" was a nice touch:

Resume: it's very possible that coin in the slab is original. The opposite statement may be true as well.

It still needs proper expert opinion of a "live" coin, not just multiple judgements of pictures...

As I mentioned before, I, for one, would be fooled, just using pictures.

IgorS, you'll need to bring a good magnifying glass to Chicago next month. Hold my breath until than...

I don't think it is necessary. It is obviously not what the auction's catalog says.

I second your opinion. We have 2 pictures of 2 different original dies that are kept in the Hermitage museum and St Petersburg mint museum plus the image of the Kazakov catalogue coin.

Stack's coin does not match.

attachicon.gif3 K stars 1916-1917.jpg

Which two look more alike (from top to bottom)?

The first and third images look very similar (stars), but the third is slightly rotated (0.5 ~ 1.0 degree) with respect to the first. I would say that the second image is very different than either the 1st or 3rd.

7 may be a bingo, but the coin is not a re-cut from 1916 as some implied... and examining the stars a little closer tells me that the coin is not from 1917 design, but also, not very likely that it's from 1916 coins...

1907? Would be a very logical step -- everyone immediately examines the 7, forgetting about 1...