CoinPeople.com

Just back from Russia

sigistenz

The main question is, will you visit Russia again?

Too early to say. I was curious what it would be like and I got an idea now. Maybe one visit was enough.

Sigi

-

Do you mean the fake synthetic crap they sell as vodka, which can blind you or kill you? As far as alcohol goes, I would travel to Georgia to drink real georgian wine and brandy. Wine is amazing, and real Georgian brandy 20 years+ (I tried 25) puts most XO cognacs to shame.

I'll second that. I only visited Moscow on my last trip, but my impression was similar to Sigi's.

The city is busy and unfriendly, even the tourist attractions feel as though they are not interested in you being there. I felt like everyone was looking for an angle, and was constantly trying to take some advantage.Food was poor quality and/or overpriced. Russian's themselves don't trust anything in the stores these days, not just vodka.

Police are scary looking and I just felt that I needed to try to blend in to avoid being stopped at every corner. I saw them shaking down illegal migrants, which appears to be their main source of income. BTW, "blending in" involves walking around with sloped shoulders and a sour face. After a while you just start to feel depressed (or is it oppressed?).

My trip to Georgia left me with the opposite impression, and the desire to visit again. Although I saw some sketchy people in leather jackets who looked like trouble, for the most part I felt welcomed. Food was great, wine was abundant. People that I interacted with were very friendly. Georgia is far from perfect but at least it's fun!

P.S. They also have mountains there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just return from my trip to Odessa Ukraine and Vienna Austria.Have great time.Great Weather,high quality food if you go to High level restaurants and clubs in Odessa.Prices similar to New York .

Have Great time in Vienna( Museum ,Vienna Forest...),I love restaurants in Vienna (apple strudel,Hungarian goulash...:)

Odessa is an awesome place to visit, and most of the natives speak Russian but are friendlier than people in say Moscow. And the food is an eclectic mix of the many cultures that have come and gone there - so there is a lot of variety - you can even find Georgian, Greek, Kazakh etc. And so what if there is a line up to get in the restaurant(a sign you're in for an experience), because they usually bring out a tray of vodka shots to ameliorate the waiting time. it is a lot more cosmopolitan in just the last decade, but has of course gotten more expensive too.

My Moscow postcards have just arrived after more than 5 weeks.

I had dropped them in a mailbox near Lenin Prospect on June 29.

On the 4th day they were postmarked (July 3).

Maybe it took their secret service so long to decipher my greetings in handwritten German :read:

Today, Aug.5 they are here in W.Europe.

(From the U.S. to here it takes less than a week).

Sigi

few packages I am expecting from Russia got stock somewhere - is there a sabotage ?

Odessa is an awesome place to visit, and most of the natives speak Russian but are friendlier than people in say Moscow. And the food is an eclectic mix of the many cultures that have come and gone there - so there is a lot of variety - you can even find Georgian, Greek, Kazakh etc. And so what if there is a line up to get in the restaurant(a sign you're in for an experience), because they usually bring out a tray of vodka shots to ameliorate the waiting time. it is a lot more cosmopolitan in just the last decade, but has of course gotten more expensive too.

Agree 100% .Odessa is different from Russia and Ukraine.More friendlier and international city.

It is always good to see oneself with other people eyes. Thanks for sharing, Sigi, it is all very much like you described. I wish it could be different.

Don't worry, Timofei. People over there are really very nice :art:

It's a bit my fault because I could not communicate much - my Russian is very poor.

As I am still studying the language, I might give it a 2nd try.

Not every romance starts with first glance ........

Sigi

-