CoinPeople.com

not quite formed

I have some one penny coins that are very faint as though the die did not correctly mark the planchet, but you can see the monarch and date when you hold the coins in a different angle they date 1873, one of them looks as though it has another defect on it.

These coins are not unusually worn. Cents of that era were often used until they were almost plain disks. I don't see anything in the photos that I'd consider a mint problem. Perhaps I misunderstood your analysis.

It was the coin dated 1878, I've uploaded some other pictures at angles, you may see what I am referring to, There are dips in both sides of the coin, as I am new to this, it may be something you have seen on numerous occasions, but for me its a first :crazy: The black areas are where I am referring to where the coin has dips, or bumps, but the holes have not penetrated the coin on either side.

penny.jpg

penny1.jpg

Pennies because of their size and composition and cost were often used in place of washers or shims. This resulted in lots of different types of markings, curves, holes, etc.

• 4 weeks later...