CoinPeople.com

My New Coins!!

Bambooski

We came across a tiny little antique market displayed on the ground. I saw a gigantic pile of coins, and instantly I was on the ground looking through them. I got these coins, many of them at less than face value, and the total price was the equivalent of about 2 US dollars! (I'm in Africa.) I found it funny how you could buy a US quarter for less than a dime :P

• ½ French Franc- 1965 (pre euro)
  • 2 French Francs- 1949 (pre euro)
  • 25 French Centimes- 1923!!! (In excellent condition, too!!) (pre euro)
  • 1 French Franc- 1939 (pre euro)
  • 1 French Franc- 1977 (pre euro)
  • Spanish 1 Peseta x2 (whoops!)- Both 1975 (pre euro)
  • Spanish 25 Pesetas- 1975 (pre euro)
  • Lebanon 50 Piastres- 1971
  • Swiss 1 Franc- 1968
  • Spanish 5 Pesetas- 1996 (pre euro)
  • Algerian 20 Dinar- 1975 (obsolete)
  • Algerian 5 Dinar- 1977 (obsolete)
  • German 50 Pfennig- 1969 (pre euro)
  • Jordan 50 fils- 1949
  • China 1 something- 1997
  • Turkey 50 Lira- 1971
  • Turkey 100 lira- 2003
  • Syrian 10 Pounds- 1997
  • Netherlands 10 Cent- 1973 (absolutely teensy tiny little coin!!!) (pre euro)
  • Tunisian 100- 1960
  • Libyan 50 Dirhem- 1975
  • Moroccan 50 Francs- 1951
  • Moroccan 10 Santimat- 1987
  • Iraq something… I’ll post this later!
  • Algerian 50 Centimes- 1988 (obsolete)

I will post pictures just as soon as I get new batteries for my camera! :)

while there look out for any Portuguese currency from early 1900 up to late 60s some can be very lucrative....

Unfortunately I have already left that area, but I will certainly keep my eye out on my travels. Thanks! :)

½ cent French Franc- 1965 (pre euro)

Spanish 1 Peseta x2 (whoops!)- Both 1975 (pre euro)

Spanish 25 Pesetas- 1975 (pre euro)

Swiss 1 Franc- 1968 (pre euro)

½ cent French Franc..... isn't that ½ franc ? There was no half centime coin, the smallest was the 1 centime and I never saw that in circulation (been in France since 1976)

Regarding the spanish coins: the design is from 1975, the actual date is on the reverse, in very small numbers, in a star.

regarding the swiss coin: Switzerland does not participate in the Euro, so up to now, they have only "pre euro" coins

½ cent French Franc..... isn't that ½ franc ? There was no half centime coin, the smallest was the 1 centime and I never saw that in circulation (been in France since 1976)

Regarding the spanish coins: the design is from 1975, the actual date is on the reverse, in very small numbers, in a star.

regarding the swiss coin: Switzerland does not participate in the Euro, so up to now, they have only "pre euro" coins

I don't know very much about these coins, (making it all the more exciting), you're probably right.

Is this the french coin you have? http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5.html

Here's more info on the Spanish 25 pesetas: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2736.html

If you click the reverse image (with the crown) you can see the star with the actual date.

And here's the 1 peseta : http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces787.html

This one has two stars on the reverse, with the first two and last two numbers of the actual date.

Besides, I now see on that page that this coin has edge lettering, I never noticed that, mine has a pretty worn edge. You learn something every day :D

• 3 weeks later...

A few large cents that I posted here in the Coppers thread. I don't really have any dealers that I frequent in the area so it makes things like junk box purchases an impossibility for me and that's always been one of my favorites.

Today I walked by a fountain and saw a coin. Naturally, I went to go pick it up. It turned out to be a 1942 French 50 Centimes, from when France was occupied by the Germans. Wow! Wonder how that got there?? :confus:

Nice find. Was it in the fountain? Like a good luck coin tossed into a good luck fountain?

No, it was right on the edge of the fountain, like someone saw it in their pocket, and figured they couldn't spend it so there was no reason to keep it. That's an interesting thought, though.

I found an old French franc on the ground today My good luck is getting a little creepy!

Another strange but nice find.