CoinPeople.com

Japanese Banknote Information Request

Art1.2

Can anyone tell me about this note. When issued? What the overprint means? I'm assuming it was a Pacific Theater item from WWII era.

9165584861_d019c8be7e_c.jpg

9167808356_29d5f833a5_c.jpg

Found this on Banknotebank. It looks the same but I'm not sure. I'd really like to know that the overprinting says.

925338A.jpg

925338B.jpg

All it says about this on banknote is : Asia. Japan, 1945

Top of note: "Government of the Japanese Empire"

Center of note: "Military use handbill (note)"

These yen notes were used during the occupation of China during WWII.

I thought it might be something like that. Thanks ccg I appreciate the information.

I should add that these were the first series of occupation notes - there were later ones that were designed seperately (rather than being overprinted regular Japanese issues).

These were also used for Hong Kong (while all other occupied places such as the Phillipines used the more commonly seen "Japanese Invasion Money")

Whenever the Japanese forces arrived somewhere, the locals were requested to turn in their local currency for Japanese occupation notes, with severe penalties if caught hoarding the local currency. As time passed by, as a penalty, the exchange rate became worse: e.g. instead of 1:1 it became 2:1, 4:1, etc.

The rural folk tended not to be affected as much since many were still on subsidence farming, but for the city folk who had to contend with a lot less commerce (and as a result - scarce foodstuffs), it was ruin - especially since post-war these became worthless.

• 1 month later...