CoinPeople.com

Summer Contest Stage I: National Holidays

Time for a giveaway - well actually a series - let me explain briefly:

Over the summer we'll be having a series of giveaways, with one every 1-2 weeks.

In each part / stage, there will be a prize for the winner(s) - if they so choose, and all participants will gain points / entries towards a end of summer draw, for which one of the prizes will be a Canadian 2011 $20 silver coin as mentioned in the 2013 coin of the year thread. Other prizes to be determined.

Participants can gain up to 10 points in each stage, with an additional five if they were eligible for a prize, but decline it.

You may also "host" a stage (in which you offer the prize(s) and determine how the 10 points are earned) - in which case you will automatically be assigned 15 points for that stage. If you're interested in hostage a stage, please send me a PM.

In stage 1, there are two prizes: a silver US 1976-S quarter and a silver Canada 1967 25c.

CP01.JPG

These two coins celebrate the bicentennial and centennial of their respective countries, which have their national holidays on the 4th and 1st of July.

For 5 points: Post a story about how you celebrate your national holiday, and if your community or region have any special events / festivals / celebrations around it.

Also, to encourage posting, you will get 1 point for every 5 posts you make in the forums (excluding community and advertising), for up to an additional 5 points (for 25 posts).

So you can get up to 10 points "normally" in this stage.

The top two point getters will each get one of the coins. In case of a tie, a random draw will be done.

To make things more interesting, if a winner declines a prize, they will get an additional 5 points, thus increasing their odds of winning one of the "final" prizes. :)

This stage closes on 23:59 PDT on July 4th.

Post away!

Awesome idea, ccg! What if we have to keep our "declining" a secret til after the stage is concluded? There may be an instance when everyone declines the prize and one person may want to swoop in and take it uncontested.

I guess I missed some parts:

To enter, just post, and I'll count the posts up at the end of the week. Stories would also be posted to this thread.

The winners will be contacted by PM and can decide then whether they wish to accept a prize or not for that week. Only after the prize(s) for a stage have been given out will the results be announced publicly. This should alleviate the concern.

July 4th.

The typical July 4th celebration has changed for our family as the kids grew older and moved away, each establishing their own family traditions to celebrate the birthday of our fabulous country. When the kids were little we would spend the 4th at the IBM Country Club in Poughkeepsie. The pool was open and the kids would spend the afternoon swimming with lunch and snacks from the patio restaurant. As it grew dark, we'd find a good spot on the fairways of the gold course and settle in for a fabulous fireworks display. The kids would be falling asleep by the time we got them to the car to head home. Usually we'd spend the rest of the evening gathered in front of the apartment with friends having a few cold ones and bs'ing the night away. Great fun.

As the group split and went their ways, those old apartment informal "parties" grew fewer and fewer. I Atlanta, we usually went to either Altoona Lake or Lake Lanier for picnics and fireworks. Again as the initial crowd thinned because of movements (we IBMers moved around the country a lot), we eventually settled on Stone Mountain. We'd have a big bbq starting at breakfast and ending with the evening meal. Then to the blankets for fireworks again. The kids were older and so didn't fall off to sleep as easily -- however I was prone to a quick nap while lying on the blanket.

In Md. we had a big neighborhood block party each 4th. Barnfire in the center of the cul-de-sac. BBQs ringing the edge of the road. Hot dogs, burgers, ribs, sausage and lots and lots of good cold beer. Nice people and always a great time. By then the kids were old enough that they were off with their friends for parties and fireworks but everyone always ended up in lawn chairs around the barnfire, even all of the neighborhood teenagers and college kids. Wonderful times with great folks.

Texas was a bit different. Spent one 4th in London on business with a client. Frannie spent the holiday in Ocala with her folks. Other 4ths we'd go for dinner to the Country Club and sit on the back terrace with drinks watching the fireworks. A really nice holiday.

When Rocky was small we'd spend the afternoon bbq'ing with him and the grandkids, usually all of them. Then head off to the local fireworks show in the evening. The kids always had a great time and the bonding was great for them. As they got older they started doing their own things and now mostly Frannie and I sit in our backyard and watch the fireworks display from the downtown area. It's always a nostalgic time with a lot of remember whens and isn't it wonderful that ___ is doing ____. I'm especially looking forward to it this year. BUT we probably will end up spending the 4th at the beach. Frannie wants to celebrate there.

I am myself a veteran and come from a military family, so we have always celebrated the 4th of July in a big way.

By about 8o'clock in the mornin the kids and grandkids will be running around throwing the little snappers toward everything they can spook, the dogs, cats, chickens, and goats.

About 11 I will be lighting up the grill, rain or shine, in preperation of the cookout that me and the neighbors have at the lake. Half of them were in the same Army unit as me. The rest are veterans themselves.

The afternnoon will be spent shooting off bottlerockets and jumpingjacks.

somewhere around 5 we will start to migrate toward Ft.Polk for the concert and large fireworks display..this year will be especialy celebrative because we have a division just returning from overseas. I am always proud to see them all cme back.

My wife's family is mostly from Canada and she is the first generation born in the USA - my mother in law lived in Canada until she was about 11 years old. So because they have such a cross border family we get to celebrate Canada Day and Independence Day, and both the Canadian Thanksgiving in October and the American one in November.

Canada and the United States represent two countries that share the same values of family, freedom, and responsibility in the world. It is reflected in their sharing the longest undefended border in the world. Both countries are each other's largest trading partners and most important allies. We do not always share the same opinions on everything but we enjoy and respect our differences.