CoinPeople.com

Canadian Coins - Help me put a value to please?

jonas111

I have recently found these coin collections at my grandpa's. Can you help me put a value to them. OR even tell me where I can go to put a value to them please.

Thanks for your time

Sorry for the low quality pictures. If you need better quality I can do it fairly easy.

74049ef4cebbbc7aa9e896cb6f1d59f9_zpsacd3

d6e99c57fa93d5ceea889ad5b0b65f5e_zpsb20c

c67caea80a1654a842cd9ff085832c79_zps92c2

d498934f6754dcfb0b383b08a4ca190f_zpsb771

aa74756574e84997c4753d86f99642ca_zps05c9

6d7891065134e01c72a04cf8b495138f_zps62a3

1. Set of medallions. If silver, they they're worth the value of the silver. If not - perhaps $20-30 retail as a neat item.

2. About $15-20 or so retail. All of the coins and stamps are common, and these were put together and sold at considerable premium as nice pieces to hang on the wall.

3. Same as above. From a collector's standpoint, the coins are all "toast" from the polishing.

4. Brass Expo '86 medallion. They seem to sell from $2-10.

5. Can't really comment without seeing the actual piece

6. $25-30 retail

The silver are 1oz each of the Canadian provinces. Been told the silver is worth alone around $200.

I've looked into the one cent piece from 1880 Newfoundland and found one for sale for quite a high amount but it was 1872.

Are the coins in the World War II collection toast? They look mint and untouched to me.

The silver are 1oz each of the Canadian provinces. Been told the silver is worth alone around $200.

If 1 oz of sterling each, that'd be about right.

I've looked into the one cent piece from 1880 Newfoundland and found one for sale for quite a high amount but it was 1872.

Value depends greatly on condition, and if it's a collected variety. Also, anyone can ask any price for anything, so it's not really a reliable guide for general pricing.

Are the coins in the World War II collection toast? They look mint and untouched to me.

The brass 5c and silver 25c and 50c I can confirm have been heavily polished.

These sets are almost always put together using circulated / used coins available at the lowest cost possible, then polished to look minty - though the shine is quite different from that of a true mint piece, and reduces the collectibility of such pieces to virtually nil. This is common throughout many antique fields - collectors and dealers want original pieces, and an ugly looking original piece may sell for well more than a piece that's been "restored" and looks very pretty.

Thank You Very Much for the Information. I have always been interested in coins and as of lately I have never realized just how intense this topic is. I have started learn a lot. Its very interesting to me. I love the history.

If I even wanted to sell them, where would be the best place to start?

Thanks again

For these items you might be best off to try to sell yourself directly - perhaps local ads, etc, given that the items are of a sort that most dealers wouldn't be too interested in buying (or only at a considerable discount).

Since the framed groups look nice as wall hangings, you might end up getting more from an antique dealer than a coin dealer.

My only advice in general is to use your instincts. And when selling to a dealer, keep in mind that not all are alike. Some pay high, some pay low, some are friendly and helpful, and others not so much. Though depending on your area you may be limited.