CoinPeople.com

Using protection...

SquirrelNuts

I used to collect as a kid, and I am getting back into things. One thing I have acquired is a tupperware container full of coins individually bagged from the Littleton Coin Company. My mother purchased these from them YEARS ago. The latest date I can find is a 79 SBA $1, and I found a card in with some of the SBA's that suggest they were just released, so I am thinking the packaging is 25 years old max. Is there any added value to a coin in an older Littleton package, or should I put the coins in cardboard 2x2's for better protection. Some of the packages have two or three coins in them, for example the P, D, and S 1943 steel cents.

-Robert

I don't see much value in secondary market packaging (i.e. Littleton) but there is certainly value to mint packaging for things like proof or mint sets. I would probably take them out and put them in 2x2s for better protection (plus some of the older packaging from the 70s or 80s may contain PVC which could damage the surfaces of coins. Good luck and let us know if you find anything cool amidst the tupperware!

I don't see much value in secondary market packaging (i.e. Littleton) but there is certainly value to mint packaging for things like proof or mint sets.  I would probably take them out and put them in 2x2s for better protection (plus some of the older packaging from the 70s or 80s may contain PVC which could damage the surfaces of coins.  Good luck and let us know if you find anything cool amidst the tupperware!

With regard to secondary market packaging, a notable exception is the case of the Cheerios 2000 SAC (although that may have been an early die variety if I recall my reading correctly).

I agree with the Lost Dutchman, but there's also the fact that some new issues of the '70s sold by Littleton back then are likely to be somewhat scarcer today in unc. than they were 25+ years ago. You may find a few of what has become tougher dates in the intervening years since your mom bought them.

I spent about two hours last night transferring the coins into 2x2's and labeling them. I did find some nice unc coins to fill the type set I am working on. My only complaint is there are some fingerprints on some of the unc coins. I am afraid to try to buff them off though. Do you all recommend any of the nice albums? I see Dansco referred to a lot.

-Robert

I am afraid to try to buff them off though.

:ninja:

It will do the coins no good and you probably won't get the finger prints off.

If they're fresh fingerprints, you might get them off by dippign the coin in pure aceton (not the nail polish removal stuff).

but beware: this stuff is dangerous, only do it in well ventilated area.

Archived