CoinPeople.com

2013 "Coin of the Year" Awards

Art1.2

According to an article in a recent Numismatist, Krause Publications holds a contest to determine the "Coin of the Year". Coins issued in 2011 are eligible for the 2013 contest. There are 10 categories in the judging and the winners run off against each other for the "Coin of the Year" Award.

The 10 category winners for 2013 are:

1. Most Historically Significant: The National Bank of Kyrgyzstan 10 som ("Silk Road")

2. Best Contemporary Event: Austrian Mint 25 Euros ("Evolution of Robotics")

3. Best Gold Coin: South African Mint 50 rand ("Meerkats")

4. Best Silver Coin: Royal Canadian Mint 20 dollars ("Canoe with Reflection")

.................link to photo: http://omnicoin.com/coins/996095.jpg

5. Best Crown: Monnaie de Paris ("King Charlemagne")

6. Best Trade Coin: National Bank of Lithuania 1 litas ("Basketball")

...................link to photo http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/458-what-did-the-mailman-bring-today/page-113?hl=basketball&do=findComment&comment=566717

7. Most Popular: National Bank of Mongolia 500 tugrik ("Owl" with crystal eyes)

8. Most Artistic: National Bank of Latvia 1 lats ("Alexandrs Caks")

9. Most Innovative: Royal Dutch Mint 5 euros ("Dutch Mint 100th Anniversary")

10. Most Inspirational: Mint of Polan 10 zlotych ("100th Anniversary of the Society for the Protection of the Blind")

I'm sorry to say that I do not have even one of these in my collection and in fact I do not believe that I have even seen any of them. So if you have a picture of one or have one in your collection, how's about posting it here.

By the way the "Coin of the Year" was to be announced on Feb 2. I'll see if I can find out who won.

It appears that the Royal Dutch Mint won the overall "2013 Coin of the Year".

Article here:

http://news.coinupdate.com/royal-dutch-mint-takes-top-prize-at-coty-awards-1838/

7. Most Popular: National Bank of Mongolia 500 tugrik ("Owl" with crystal eyes)

Since my wife it quite fond of owls, I looked this coin up on Ebay, to see if I could get her one.....

Then I saw the prices :swoon:

US$ 995 - US$ 1999.95

I guess mrs. T_3 will get another b-day present....

Since my wife it quite fond of owls, I looked this coin up on Ebay, to see if I could get her one.....

Then I saw the prices :swoon:

US$ 995 - US$ 1999.95

I guess mrs. T_3 will get another b-day present....

WOW! That is pricey.

6. Best Trade Coin: National Bank of Lithuania 1 litas ("Basketball")

Can be found in one of the recent purchase threads

4. Best Silver Coin: Royal Canadian Mint 20 dollars ("Canoe with Reflection")

While not shown (to my recollection), it is mentioned in the Canadian forum

6. Best Trade Coin: National Bank of Lithuania 1 litas ("Basketball") Can be found in one of the recent purchase threads 4. Best Silver Coin: Royal Canadian Mint 20 dollars ("Canoe with Reflection") While not shown (to my recollection), it is mentioned in the Canadian forum

Thanks Kev. Since the Basketball coin was posted in the forum, I added the link to it. I'd like to do that with the others if I can find them here or in omnicoin.

There should a coin version of a Razzy (the awards given out every year for the worst movies that coincides with the Oscars) that would be just as entertaining. Top of my list is anything produced by the likes of the Franklin Mint for countries like Liberia or Somalia. I actually saw guitar- and motorcycle-shaped coins that had Somalia on it... talk about trashy. We could basically take the same categories used for the Coin of the Year and flip it for the worst coins.

Wow, I just cannot disagree more with their choice for coin of the year -- at a minimum because that's not even a photograph of the actual coin. The QR code makes it look like an arcade token, and it just looks gimmicky to me. To my eye, the Canadian $20 silver is a far superior design, as is the Austrian robotics issue. I bid on one of those Lithuanian basketball coins recently -- didn't win, but it's a great design and I'm not even a basketball fan. Lithuanian basketball is special to me, though, because I'm a Deadhead. :)

I'm tempted to pick up the basketball coin as a gift for my youngest son. He loves to play basketball. He's pretty good at it too.