CoinPeople.com

Online Russian Coins Database

I have purchased the service for a year, so we have time to build the Online Russian Coins Database. It is in its testing stage now. You can find it here, in my new website: http://extant.wix.com/showcase#!russian-coins-image-data-base/c1wyu there still may be some fields that I'll have to add. So, experiment with it, add a few coin images etc. I will report later on what and how you can do to help with building this database. I am yet to write to auction houses for a permission to use their images. If that would be possible, this will speed up the job by a lot. So, keep watching this space, play with the database, get used to using it. Many things can be changed as time goes by (entry form can be re-designed for example), but the general view of database will be close to what you can see at the moment. All the entries in the database are made for demonstration only and will be replaced with better quality pictures of a better quality coins :) ... Please keep your comments coming, keep them short and constructive. Many thanks.

Agree. What can I say, free webhosting comes with it's own price. :)

Here are the direct links, bypassing my new pages, if you must prefer them:

1) Coin entry Form: https://MyTaskHelper.ru/apps/aqVy9BlivjCQjdbMucQ1BN/widgets/bVIhqvJfjdDl8TjJxAy-vd?view=bVIhqvJfjdDl8TjJxAy-vd

2) Database View: https://mytaskhelper.ru/widgets/aqVy9BlivjCQjdbMucQ1BN/bVIhqvJfjdDl8TjJxAy-vd

You are also welcome to insert them into your own site in a frame using

these links as long as you are actively participate in DB management. Can also provide

you with iframe code as well if you will prefer that...

Entered a few coins just to try-out. See if you can play with: filter, search and group functions. May be add a few coins yourself and critisize the structure of this DB. I am trying to fine tune it so little would have to be changed later as those changes would affect great deal of data and it would have to be edited for every entry, I'd rather not be in that situation. Apparently it is easy to copy and past like this. Here is an example of grouping database by year and mint that I copied and pasted in my e-mail, it kept the stracture in the e-mail and in the Excell, with pictures incorporated. It can not do the same here, so I'll jus post an example in a picture form. Thank you.

grouping.jpg

i am not saying anything against of it but two minus points are - existing data bases are covered a lot of materials and you cannot substitute it plus many coins from private collections and museums will not posted in your data base

now, what kind of materias and from where can be in your new data base?

Kind of material that it already holds. VKGM etc catalogs' images, images of auctioned coins with ref to the auction houses they were sold through, anyone who can contribute pictures of their high quality coins. It also can be used as a tool for any numismatist that is researching a narrow field in details, for example 2 k 1802, or denga coins, or any other diverse group that requires data manipulation with coins characteristics entered in "variation" fields for cross referencing and systematization. A similar database (perhaps a copy of this one) will be built at a later stage, just for that purpose, that will have as many of these variation fields as possibly may be required. It may in future be cross referenced with the main database. There could be a number of databases built for different purposes. But it is all in future. First of all, the main database needs to be built, so people could see it's advantage over existing coin cataloging tools.

coins before today are in few data bases so according you - you will duplicate it too ?

Can I please have links to databases online available for manipulation, as I haven't seen any, so far and I am not sure what you are referring too? I only know the search engines and the online catalog by MD, which is essentially a catalog with search engine links. If you can show me at least one database that can do, what this one is set to do, I will abandon the idea, as in this case there will be no point in spending time on it...

i dont know either one; and I am not against your project; i am very doubt of this because of short of coins to enjoy your idea;

lets take ruble 1737; give me an example what would you download into your database for it ?

That would be any available scans from catalogs (1 example of the best ref.) and examples of better quality photographs from private collections (prefered) or from auctions of the past 10 years, in the absence of the first, that can be replaced later. That's the idea. If you have a better one, and it fits, happy to adjust the setting, as long as it is useful for as many people as possible. :)

Thank you Rsraghead. I still would like to hear what one-kuna have to say, as that's what I need - constructive criticism and additional ideas from people who potentially would be using this database. I may have one idea, it's not perfect, but I am trying to satisfy the needs of many. There will be some people that may not like it for whatever reason. I'd like to listen to them as well (I'm talking in general, not anyone specific), as this feedback is the best thing. As I mentioned, it is possible to make numerous different databases and forms, that would suit minority or even individual needs, but that's later. For now, this is the project.

i want you to get the point that museum collections, most private collections, collections of advaced collectors, stack of hundreds of world-wide dealers will not share with you anything; taking info from auction catalogs last ten years from m-dv will violate their work, then from where you can take this info; do you have a stock of at least of couple thousands auction catalogs home to do that ? from above points i do not see the future so far; this forum allows us to open any coin topic/ subject and fill in as much it can be, like i opened one of my favorite about 2 kop 1810 and it is now hit 18 000 viewed already with plenty of pics and info; in any case as a collector i wish you good luck and want to see your progress in it in a year or less ?

Thank you one-kuna, I don't have a magic wand that works, to know all the answers. We'll have to wait and see. I am closing the database with a logging and password for the moment, to protect the records, as I am doing a little re-juggle and don't want people to see roadworks. Once I am ready, I'll reopen it to general public.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...