CoinPeople.com

best grab bag finds

wabnoles

Hey everyone

Just thought I'd start a new topic... I have always been a big fan of the $5-10 (or less) grab bags. Anyone have any luck with these? My best ever grab bag find was finding 6 Canadian silver quarters and three Canadian silver dimes in a $2 grab bag. I also know of a place down in St. Augustine that has $5 grab bags that I have found walking liberty half dollars, a bundle of Indian heads, an 1870s British silver sixpence, etc. I also love those 5 for a dollar or 10 for a dollar bin or bowl of coins and have found great coins there.

Hey everyone

Just thought I'd start a new topic... I have always been a big fan of the $5-10 (or less) grab bags. Anyone have any luck with these? My best ever grab bag find was finding 6 Canadian silver quarters and three Canadian silver dimes in a $2 grab bag. I also know of a place down in St. Augustine that has $5 grab bags that I have found walking liberty half dollars, a bundle of Indian heads, an 1870s British silver sixpence, etc. I also love those 5 for a dollar or 10 for a dollar bin or bowl of coins and have found great coins there.

WOW! Hey let me know where the place is. I don't get to St Augustine very often but I'm sure to be there at least once before the summer is over.

never bought grab bags myself, bought the odd bulk buy on ebay. and looked through masses of bargain bins.

I suppose Bulk buys on Ebay where you can't see all the coin so.

1017124.jpg

got this on ebay in a small group with only obverse showing.

1012214.jpg

this one in a buy i saw both sides in, got for similar prices as well.

although you could see the contents of the purchase in question.

I actually got one of those William farthings in a grab bag lol... from what I understand, these coins are not uncommon but there are no known examples that would rate EF+ and they are all undated so this is literally about as good as these coins are going to get barring the discovery of some hoard in an old English basement.

these are halfpennies, and very rare types.

1700 BRTTANNIA - 2nd one known

and 1699 TERTVS error.

and if you are talking about finds in bargain bins, how about this for 10p?

980004.jpg

and a few pennies i got for 5-20p each, later dates are cheaper

989958.jpg

1012348.jpg

less then 10 of these known (no colon after F:D)

989957.jpg

1012207.jpg

1926 modified Effigy

No great finds, but an amusing story. I asked a dealer if he perchance had anything from Georgia (not Jawjuh, the other one). He pointed to a gigantic bargain bin and said, "yes there is something in there". There must have been a thousand 2x2s and envelopes, of various colors.

I asked if he could remember what color it was, and he said "blue, I think" so I picked a blue one at random. It was the coin! But it was a totally different time period from what I was looking for.

Well they were all in good condition... I managed to sell them on ebay for about $35 plus kept another $5-6 worth of Canadian money that was in this bag lol. There was also a full set of 75% silver 1944 Phillippines coins (two 10 centavos, one 20, and one 50) that came in a $3 bag. I managed to secure four bags for $10 and all four had silver in them. There was British, Dutch, Dutch East Indies, Swedish, and Australian silver. All in all it was close to 2 oz of silver plus the intrinsic value of the rest of the coins. All in all a very good day coin shopping (but it wasn't at the place in St. Augustine I was mentioning). The funny thing was as I walked in and saw the silver quarters from a mile away the lady (who was supposedly a "coin expert") was telling me "Oh yeah there's coins but they're just foreign coins" lol. There was a 1933 Russian 3 Kopek in pristine almost uncirculated condition plus a number of British, French, and Australian coppers. Basically got paid $20 to walk away with some really good coins.

ps I don't sell coins for profit but rather to reinvest into the collection... I wanted to get my nephews some silver dollars and was able to sell off some of the stuff from the St. Augustine grab bags (as well as this from this hoard) to get together enough to buy two silver dollars.

I received word from my father that the grab bags he bought from the place in St. Augustine yielded an 1860 half penny, 1837 Belgian 2 centime, 4 Indian heads, an Liberty nickel, an 1865 US 2 cent piece and an 1894 Greek 5 lepta among other things. With coppers like that who cares about silver lol. Not bad for $10 combined. I will photo and send when I get back to Jax.

I received word from my father that the grab bags he bought from the place in St. Augustine yielded an 1860 half penny, 1837 Belgian 2 centime, 4 Indian heads, an Liberty nickel, an 1865 US 2 cent piece and an 1894 Greek 5 lepta among other things. With coppers like that who cares about silver lol. Not bad for $10 combined. I will photo and send when I get back to Jax.

Great finds. Can't wait to see the photos.