CoinPeople.com

1907 Chinese Tael Coin

nhoj47

I recently obtained this coin. It weighs 26.85 grams. Diameter 40 MM. I have found all of the idiograms on the reverse except for one. It is inside the center circle at the 3 o'clock position. Standard catalog of World Coins doesn't wran of counterfiets for 1907, but you never know.

I found a coin in the catalog, KM# Pn303 CD(1907). The only difference in the coin is the idiogram at 3 o'clock. Any info on this idiogram or the coin appreciated. DSCN0910.JPG

Thanks for the info on the chinese character. As for weight, the chinese dollar is "7 MACE AND 2 CANDAREENS" or just under 27 grams. If it is a 1 Tael coin the weight should be around 37.43 grams. This would definetly be a big difference and make this a counterfeit coin.

Again, thanks for the help.

• 3 months later...

Whao!! Dramatic coin designs. Guess the Chinese’s contributions to the world of coins are popular dragon designs and…. the lunar series coins. World’s most reputed government mints including the U.K. mint, Canadian mint through to the Australian Perth mint issue coins that honor the Chinese lunar year. This year for the first time in the U.K. mint’s history of 1,100 years, they issued silver Britannia with a privy marked rim. The privy mark on the rim is of a Chinese snake that represents the “Year of the Snake”.