CoinPeople.com

COPPER COPPER COPPER

rsraghead

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new civil war token. Some lovely color and very clear surfaces on this one.

1863_CWT_176-271a_NGC_MS64BN_composite_z

Always a fan of Civil War Tokens. That is a particularly nice one. Do you have anymore?

BEAUTIFUL toning

In 1797, Peter Kempson issued 10 different penny-sized tokens (or more accurately, medalets) featuring London Buildings on the obverse and "Standing Justice" on the reverse. I simply couldn't resist this Ludgate token engraved by Thomas Wyon. My pictures don't do it any favors, but it appears almost as a proof in hand. The fields are glassy and almost completely mark free, with high relief devices. Both the obverse and reverse exhibit dark hues of blues and rose/pinks, as is common on the entire series of these particular tokens. This set of medalets was struck specifically for collectors (not intended for actual commerce), and in relatively small mintages of less than 200 of each design. The reverse reminds me of the Regal cartwheel issues of the same year, with inset lettering surrounding the central design. I have not seen a nicer example than this one, and I was delighted to add it to my collection.
1797 Middlesex/Kempson's penny token, Ludgate D&H-78 (scarce, mintage < 200)
1797_Middlesex_DH78_Penny_NGC_MS65BN_com

Always a fan of Civil War Tokens. That is a particularly nice one. Do you have anymore?

I have about a dozen or so that I've picked up over the past 3-5 years. I'll try to post a few here in the next few days.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My newest copper coin...with some pretty crazy toning. :shock:

1861_Sweden_2Ore_NGC_MS64BN_toned_compos

Hello BRG5658;

I just had to post this message to let you know how much I enjoyed viewing your copper coins that you have posted in this blog. I adore copper also and avidly collect copper coins world wide! I am especially drawn to vividly toned copper coins and also am into aged & mellowed copper. Actually, I feast on all of them, no matter how they have toned. I'm totally into mint state copper coins that have toned brown and the protected areas near the devices are bright & lustrous. Let's face it, I'm just a copper nut and it looks like you are one also!

It has been quite a long time since I have logged into this forum, but for some reason I did log in & stumbled upon the "Copper, Copper, Copper" blog. It was very refreshing & exciting to view your posts. I highly admire your impeccable taste and the quality of the coins that you end up with.

Now that I know about this post, I plan to visit it frequently in the future with heightened interest in what your next post will reveal.

It appears that we have very similar preferences for copper coins. I haven't really found another collector who has taste so close to mine in regards to copper coins and that definitely has piqued my interest!

Very truly yours,

Brenton vonRheinegger

TheCoinCzar

Hello Brenton. I'm glad that you're enjoying the beautiful coppers. Perhaps you have some of your own to share with us?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...