CoinPeople.com

rnumis fakes database - status thread

This is a status thread for users of the russian coins fakes database at rnumis.

It is primarily to announce periodic updates to functionality and for users to note progress on shared work. Brief feature requests or noted problems can also be posted here or sent to me in a PM.

The initial motivation for the database & interface - and its advantages and shortcomings compared to other approaches - have been discussed at length in an earlier thread. I would kindly ask that such heated debates not happen here. I for one will not take part in them.

Thanks everyone!

:art:

Steve

Logins

No login is required to view any of the coins or to add comments.

If you would like to upload images or to be able to edit existing entries you will need a login. Send me a PM or email at rnumis and I will set one up for you.

Candidate's Archive of Fake Images

I have collected a not so small archive of fake Russian coins pictures, total of maybe 100MB or more. Unfortunately, I have no time to sort, describe and, especially,upload those pictures to above described web-site one by one. If someone will be willing to do this job, I can share my archive - just please let me know.

Here's some - in 65 MB ".rar" archive.

I have successfully downloaded and opened the archive Candidate kindly supplied, and so has extant4cell. It has 20 folders.

The status of uploads to rnumis will be shown in this thread to help reduce duplication.

What I've done so far:

DIR 10 ("5-1850 платина") - Done

DIR 12 ("50-1898") - Done

DIR 19 ("Фальшаки") - Done

DIR 20 ("ФУФЕЛА") - Done

Over 300 "coins" in the database already and more to come. I have another 60+ to add from my image collection before I look for more somewhere else... Some of the fakes are of a high quality, look good, if I may say that, and very dangerous. I'd stop for now, have some people over and drink a little. These fakes have negative energy that I need to shake off... :)

Getting rid of negative energy is definitely a good thing!

Well done! You've made a very nice resource in a short amount of time. I like just flipping through the pages and seeing new things. Real coins I know. These are something new.

In terms of functionality I want a better way to get to coins with new comments. Will report here when ready.

I discussed this resource on Russian forum in the section "fakes". There are some people there that collect counterfeits that were circulated around the same time as the originals. Some forgeries are very rare and even more expensive then the real coins. Their request was to separate the counterfeits that were made later to fool collectors (fakes) from the counterfeits made for circulation (forgeries). Some believe that forgeries are important to numismatics. I do not exactly share this view. I'd prefer to keep only one database. What do you think of this? I offered them to review database later and add comments to coins they believe are important to that branch of "numismatics". So far I had no takers.... :)

I discussed this resource on Russian forum in the section "fakes". There are some people there that collect counterfeits that were circulated around the same time as the originals. Some forgeries are very rare and even more expensive then the real coins.

The most famous example of such coins is probably the Avesta mint 5 kopeck fakes from the late 1700's which have found their place (rightly so) in respected catalogues and auctions today. Were you referring to this type of forgery?

Hi Eugene. Sent you a PM.

The editor currently lets you change anything in anyone's listing (except the images) and this helps in fixing possible mistakes you find anywhere. Images are a special class. I'll add the ability for a user to delete their own images or entries (but nobody else's) at some point and will report when ready.

Thanks for the suggestions and hard work. Keep them both coming :-)

I aimed to stop my obsession with fakes by the end of May, and I am now pretty much at the end of it now. The resource has over 400 coins now, and I am happy with what I managed to find and enter there. I will stop looking for fakes specifically now, and let them come to me as they usually do. I'll keep reporting them as I find them. :) Cheer!

I aimed to stop my obsession with fakes by the end of May, and I am now pretty much at the end of it now. The resource has over 400 coins now, and I am happy with what I managed to find and enter there. I will stop looking for fakes specifically now, and let them come to me as they usually do. I'll keep reporting them as I find them. :) Cheer!

Very well done! Let me know your next project, as this one really prompted me to build a framework for it which I think turned out quite nicely. Not perfect, but still nice.

Thank you Steve, we helped each other in this project and it worked. I couldn't do this without your help and it just happened that I wanted to do something like this for a while. :art: I enjoyed doing it with you.

I think I may return to my collection, although inertia still keeps me going, and today I collected a few more interesting images :) still for this project, and I'll add them soon. :) I finally had a look through the pictures provided by Candidate, there isn't much there that hasn't been added yet. I'll select a few images to add, but not going just to add them all in.

(cut the rest for re-posting in Russian Coins Showcase Catalogue for Coins from Private Collections World-Wide: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/33947-russian-coins-showcase-catalogue-for-coins-from-private-collections-world-wide/ )

Thanks Eugene!

Is it possible to repost this in a new thread...I want to stick to my original intent of keeping this thread minimal & clean. Or we can take it offline in a PM, though seeing peoples constructive comments can very useful. I'll give it some thought in the meantime.

:drinks:

I'd like to thank everyone involved, even though I no longer collect Russian!

I've been advocating that the ANA do something like this though obviously they'd want to concentrate on US coins. (I wonder, though, if your code would be useful for that and whether that could be arranged.)

I do have some fakes I could upload to this; it's on my to do list to get my scans transferred over. (They were sold as "novodels--copies made for collectors" rather dishonestly (or ignorantly?) as the copies were not made by the Russian mint.)

Hi Steve - would love to see them! I've sent you a PM with your personal login information for the rnumis fakes uploader.

There's also an overdates project under construction at the same site. More news on that later!

The fakes php & sql web code, while somewhat specific to rnumis, should be straightforward to any web developer and could easily be adapted to ANA needs. I'd be happy to hand it over as is or otherwise coordinate with the right person, if ANA so desires.

Steve