CoinPeople.com

What Kind of Coin Attracts You?

Bambooski

You ever notice that you sit around and act like a kid at Christmas when you get new coins? :bhyper:

I do and that's a big part of the attraction for me. I love that feeling.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a couple of chocolates from that roll yesterday

:yahoo:

Very nice. That's a wonderful thing for your wife to have gotten you.

I love those Art Nouveau French pieces, they never get votes in PCI though :(

i love eye catchers

1020074.jpg

not perfect grade, but a good bit of wear brings out the colour better sometimes.

Barbers hold up surprisingly well to wear, and I think Barber himself designed them with that in mind. The parts that wear first, heck they don't have much detail on them in the first place. Contrast with the following designs (which are beautiful when fully struck and unworn) and see that the walker's liberty turns into a vertical bar with not too much wear (or a crappy strike, which was common).

Barber apparently considered the mercury dime, standing liberty quarter, and walking liberty half to be "failures" for that reason. And by his criteria he was correct.

As for the question: I like lots of detail (sharp strikes) and some good toning so I have a feeling the coin hasn't been monkeyed with.

As for design I seem to be developing a like for the draped bust design of all things! (Gold bullion tastes, chicken bullion budget.) But there are many other designs I like.

And of course I was once an obsessive Russian Imperial collector but ended up selling. I was the name on the cover of Elmen's November 2008 sale.