CoinPeople.com

What Kind of Coin Attracts You?

Bambooski

Hey everyone! I was wondering what draws you to a coin. For me, I like to be able to see the history and how it has changed hands. So I prefer something like these (These are my coins by the way)100E2884.JPG over proof coins or something. (I was trying to post a picture but it was 'too big to upload'. :wallbash: ) What about you? What attracts you in a coin?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like coins that come together to tell a story. For instance I collected 7th Century Byzantine and Sassanian coinage because those coins told the story of the fall of one empire and the rise of another with numerous subplots.

Seriously copper coins are my favorites. I especially enjoy large coppers like US Large Cents, Canadian Large Cents and English Pennies. Chocolate tone and with just a bit of wear to soften the edges.

6682225811_e3f2f9fa61_b.jpg

1853 N11 F25F15 obv 2 by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Historical stories and those with artisitic merit, or are symbolic of the art of the era.A favourite example of the first would be the 1797 English copper penny and twopence as examples of the Industrial Revolution's effects (reduced mintage cost permitting large size well made coins)And for the second one, the French sower types of the late 1800s-WWI as an example of Art Nouveau, and the English 3d, 6d and crown of 1926-36 as an example of Art Deco.

What sort of coin attracts my want? Wow, I haven't really pinned that down. I have ugly coins, beautiful coins, old coins, not so many new ones though. My collection has been going on since I was a kid in the mid 1970s that was the recipient of my dad's large bag of coins from his tour in SE Asia.

A coin attracts me when it scratches an itch, and getting more specific than that is virtually impossible. Most of my coins fall into one of my thematic collections, but there's a small number that can only be classified as 'Ooo, neat!' and there's no way to profile what falls into that.

Mine, would be the colonial era in Malaysia, that's the Straits Settlements. Firstly, historical and second as an investment.

Mainly silver as it is easier to store compare to the bronze which oxidizes in our humid climate. I try my best to get hold of the best grades within my budget.

I have some coins posted in the forum or OmniCoin. Do have a look.

http://www.coinpeopl...-new-additions/

http://www.omnicoin.com/security/users/profile

A bit of silver dating from circa 800 to circa 1400, preferably from England. It should have some rarity or some exquisite artwork, perhaps detailing a renowned king in a wonderful portrait.

A coin according to me speaks about the past and it’s more like a historical document and you get to know of people who bought and sold them. I love coins that are both collectibles and relics of historical value and let me not forget the coins that glitter as well, the ones made up of gold and silver!!!