CoinPeople.com

"Mad Gold" - Russian program about fake gold coins made in 80-s

Actually it was in 70s. Some thousand Nicholay II Chervonets counterfeits made from the gold produced from liquid gold solution used in china painting by the modern days Russian alchemist... Something that was thought of as impossible... Chemist was shot in punishment for what he did after he uncovered the process to KGB, who in turn put the info away and never replicated it, or so the story tells...

I watched this a few weeks ago. I was impressed by counterfeiter’s idea to strike coins with industrial nail driving tool used in construction which was powered by gun powder cartridges. In general the story is full of BS IMHO.

Measured force. I was impressed by that too. :) What else could you to do in 70s in Russia, but create something with obsession? I know people who were making black caviar from milk! I couldn't believe until we made it together for demonstration some 10 years ago. There was no Internet or computers, after all, so anything is possible....

• 2 weeks later...

It's a horribly complicated process. You have to have high ceilings for that process, like about 4 meters high. I was only a helper and we did it for fun. It tested nothing like caviar, but looked impressively similar. Just like some of the fake coins. :)

i saw this link on one forum dont remember which one, also this story can be fabricated jut for soviet militsia propaganda IMXO

Anything is possible. I simply don't know. Fakes come in different forms, not only the coins can be faked, :) The only true information that can be easily checked out is that some fake Nick II Chervontzy have gold concentration higher than the real Chervontzy and this story just provides one of possible explanations. :read: ...You wont know the truth unless they let you in to the KGB archives. :rolleyes: The trick will be to get out of it...