CoinPeople.com

1797 Penny Cost

jlueke

My son Alex has gotten interested in the Britannia figure on British pennies. What would be a reasonable proce for a gF/aVF 1797 penny with honest wear but no major problems? utside of ebay are there good sources for less expensive British coins?

Thanks

IMO there usually isn't much of a premium for clean cartwheel 1d and 2d, though finding nice clean ones presents a nice challenge in itself :)

Yeah, that seems to be something maybe better left for shows than online.

A good aVF one is about £30 - £40 in my opinion.Your best source for these is eBay but, if you're not keen, then maybe try vcoins or independent dealers.

An awful lot of these coins circulated a long time, they were high in the percentages in a survey done in York in 1841. As a result they are worn down, or look like they were used as grape shot during the Napoleonic wars. Thankfully though some collectors did set some aside though - which makes for the most affordable "huge" British coin. I have high grade circulated examples, and they price out like YoC pointed out for the penny an' more for the tuppence.