CoinPeople.com

oldest banknote in collection

Corina

This note was printed in London for the Maryland colony in 1733, it is an unissued remainder from a series that was issued through on original forms until 1754. Subsequent notes were printed in the colony.

maryland1s1733dtl1.jpg

Arms of colony on a vignette.

maryland1s1733dtl2.jpg

The indenture cut section, these notes in sheets were bound in a book form - when issued they were sliced out in a curved pattern and numbered. When the note was redeemed it was matched with the numbered indentured cut section in the book as a means of positive identification.

maryland1s1733.jpg

I very briefly owned a note that is several hundred years older, from China. But it was appropriated by Her Majesty for Her collection and I will have to inquire of Her as to whether I can display Her ancient note.

There are approximately 100 or so known examples of these notes, but they were printed in far larger numbers back then. The story goes that they were found under a statue in 1936 and were sold to the crowds of foreigners milling around - so the great majority of them went to Europe or America. I very briefly owned this example before it was requisitioned to a certain VIP's personal collection.

• 4 weeks later...