CoinPeople.com

Oldest Coins You Have Found In Circulation

I'm quite envious you know, you guys in the states have so much more history as far as current 'circulating' coinage goes. (Same for Canada and Switzerland too).

For those of us in the UK we only go back to 1971, not particulary exciting really. Although I realise this is maybe still better off than eurozone countries that only go back to 1999. There was a time back in the early-mid 1990s that old predecimal coins would turn up unofficially every now and again; usually farthings, halfpennies and shillings. But these days I don't even see those. Occasional Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Jersey coins, but they too are all from the decimal era onwards. Clad US dimes also turn up frequently, as well as the bronze 2 eurocents.

I'm always on the lookout in my change for anything with a monarch other than Elizabeth II on it - so often disappointed though.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm quite envious you know, you guys in the states have so much more history as far as current 'circulating' coinage goes. (Same for Canada and Switzerland too).

For those of us in the UK we only go back to 1971, not particulary exciting really. Although I realise this is maybe still better off than eurozone countries that only go back to 1999. There was a time back in the early-mid 1990s that old predecimal coins would turn up unofficially every now and again; usually farthings, halfpennies and shillings. But these days I don't even see those. Occasional Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Jersey coins, but they too are all from the decimal era onwards. Clad US dimes also turn up frequently, as well as the bronze 2 eurocents.

I'm always on the lookout in my change for anything with a monarch other than Elizabeth II on it - so often disappointed though.

The most common coins I find in roll searches after Canadian are British - even 1p coins in cent rolls - the 1p is about 1mm larger than the cent so usually they are squeezed into wrappers. The 5p is a pretty common find and I find them weekly. Less often, but enough to add up, I find the heptagonal 20p in nickel rolls. I did once find a Gibraltar 1p coin, but usually coins from the possessions of the British Empire are rather scarce in circulation.