Oldest Coins You Have Found In Circulation

Bambooski

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Canada, a 1937 cent, in USA a 1930 cent.

In Canada it's extremly hard to find coins before 1937, because it had other different designs and people keep them. And before 1967 it's also difficult for the big amounts (10, 25, 50 cents) because it was silver.

US 1928 1c.

While I didn't get it myself directly, a friend upon return from a trip to Switzerland gave me his leftover change, which included a well worn 1884 20 rp.

(Swiss coins have been more or less the same since 1850, and as such offer the highest likelihood of encountering older pieces in change, especially for the 10rp and 20rp)

US 1928 1c.

While I didn't get it myself directly, a friend upon return from a trip to Switzerland gave me his leftover change, which included a well worn 1884 20 rp.

(Swiss coins have been more or less the same since 1850, and as such offer the highest likelihood of encountering older pieces in change, especially for the 10rp and 20rp)

Yes, my mom was in Switzerland and got in change a Swiss 10 coin of 1890.

Oldest cent - really beaten up 1882 IHC

Oldest nickel worn nearly flat except for the date 1890 Liberty

Oldest dime - 1944

Oldest quarter 1939

Oldest half 1942 back in November

Oldest dollar coin - an 1897 Morgan I got in change at an A&W when I was about 10 years old - the customer in front of me in line had spent it and I bought it from the cashier.

Problem with this question is it's not limited to how long someone's been a coin collector. By that I mean many here probably started coin collecting a short time ago so thier changes of finding a really old coin is not easy. Then just the opposite is the person collecting for a long, long time. Me for instance. When I was a kid all Indian Head Cents were common in change. Finding any Sitting Liberty coins were as common as a Roosevelt Dime today. Actually Roosevelt Dimes were not even made yet. I remember when people still tried to use Large Cents in vending machines since they were still being used every day.

If I only knew then what I know now...............

I'm surprised to hear that large cents were still floating around for decades past! I would had expected an obsolete type to disappear after 1-2 decades at most.

Difficult to remember unless you were around in the early 30's. Money, any kind, was attempted to be used. People tried using washers, slugs, anything since no one had real money. As a kid back then all coins were really old since they kept on being used. Sitting Liberty coins were normal. Indian Head Cents too were normal. And anything that looked like a coin was attempted to be used.

Did you know that those pay phones we used to all use didn't have the ability to know if you put in a coin unless the operator heard a tone for that type of coin. Many people that were smart would get a set of tuning forks. Contact the operator on a pay phone and when she said please deposit $2 or something, the caller would just plunk the right tuning fork and that worked.

My Dad had a vending machine in his gas station and you'ld be amazed at what people tried to use in that thing.