CoinPeople.com

Hello

Hello,

I started collecting coins during the summer when the London Olympic 50p's were released, it took me months to get them all but I was so pleased with myself when I finished! lol.

I have recently decided that I'd like to try to collect at least one coin from as many countries in the world as I can get my hands on. I am sure this will take more than a couple of months!

I'm not really sure what the best resources are, etc. etc. but I am quite looking forward to learning some more.

Cheers

Steven

PS: Sorry to double post, but does anyone know where to get a display case similar to this?

656919409_o.jpg

I saw it on ebay, but I suspect that they're fake coins (all the coins look pretty new and yet the collection was very cheap [from China]). The set up, with the flags and so on, looks ideal though!

Hi Steven,

My sons are starting to look at coins from all over the world as well. It's easy to get started as you can get bulk lots of unsorted world coins to identify. If you want to save time there's sets of coins offered from various countries as well. One way to make that set more challenging in the future could be to include countries that no longer exist which would be quite a list. I wonder if anyone's compiled that least even? Anyway have fun.

Thanks. Have you bought any bulk lots of coins on eBay? I have been looking, but they are so unspecific... '1kg of mixed coin', I don't want to order something like that to end up with a big bag of pennies or euro coins! I have ordered a couple of small collections on eBay for a couple of UK Pounds. I went for listings that stated the coins in the image are the ones you'll receive, so I'll sort through that when they get here.

I currently have 35 different countries, but am cheating a little and including 7 euro coin variants lol. Small potatoes so far, but I'm keen to expand!

Your local coin shop should have pages similar to the one you showed here -- those coins are probably real (the ones I could make out appeared to be, anyway), but they're going to be very low value, aluminium and brass and steel and all, and nowhere near as fun as going on the prowl for the coins yourself. I wouldn't slip raw coins into slots like that, though. I use pages that hold the 1.5x1.5 cardboard and mylar flips for both my birth year world set and for my Jefferson nickel project -- it lets me organize things to my liking, and gives me room to expand if I missed something.

Most coin shops will have a 'foreigns' bin in my experience, which is a great place to get your hands dirty and see the world. My usual haunt has a standard 5 coins/$1 if you hand-pick them (which I always do), or a set price for a scoopful. They'll have pulled all the silver and the high-value coins, but what's left can still be nice, sometimes high-grade, always surprising. I've stocked a lot of my birth year set that way and only lately have had to start haunting eBay for specific issues.

We got a few lots either with pictures and one that was 60 coins from 60 countries. They've cataloged 38 different countries so far including four versions of Germany. They also picked up 40 coins each for $5 at a local coin show. Once they get through these lots it'll be time to look into trading

There are a bunch of lists around. If you need to get one let me know and I'll try to figure out a way to post a link to a spreadsheet of different countries.

I think we're all right for now. Does one count each German State as a different country? Or is that a different set of issuing authorities?

my birth year world set

Wow, that is definitely taking it to another level! How far have you got through that?

I don't know of any coin shops around about me, but time to get looking. I'm going to pop into a bureau de change and ask them if they've got any coins, people must leave them there when they can't be changed? Worth a go anyway.

I searched one of my coins on omnicoin.com (which I found via this site) and it's not there. That's exciting! lol

Wow, that is definitely taking it to another level! How far have you got through that?

Oooo... about a third of the way? Thereabouts. By rough count, there were around 470 separate issues in 1963, counting mintmarks. And I think I have about 150-170 of them. Only really interested in the date, not the condition, so it's not a matter of finding choice pieces. Obviously, the silver is harder now than when I started, and I haven't really gotten definitive advice as to whether the Middle Eastern gold issues were circulating or not -- I'm not interested in bullion or NCLT, so I'm hoping the gold is one of those two for my poor wallet's sake. Granted, if the right piece at the right price comes along, I will cheerily chuck my principles out the window. :D

Only within the last year have I started seriously using eBay to add to it -- up to now, I could get by in my LCS' foreigns bin, or at the Ohio State Coin Show in September.

Personally, it's a collection I recommend -- you almost can't help but learn something you didn't know about geography, history, numismatics or politics while doing your research. Same goes for ksaurabh's collection of coins from countries that no longer exist.

I quite like 'themed' collections -- I have another one for science issues that depict a person, object or theme in physics, astronomy, cosmology, chemistry, and/or mathematics (I haven't any personal interest in archaeology, biology, psychology, or medicine, so they go unrepresented). There's a little overlap here and there--my Polish collection contains pieces commemorating Kopernik and Skłodowska-Curie, which are equally appropriate to the science collection. Whether I let a coin 'belong' to more than one set, or whether I get separate copies for each one depends mainly on cost and opportunity than any predetermined course of action.