CoinPeople.com

Unknown coin with Elizabeth, dated 1564

Trantor_3

Hi all,

Several years ago I received a coin, showing Elizabeth on the obverse and an English/British coat of arms on the reverse.

It is dated 1564.

The obverse legend says: ELIZABETH . D . G . ANG FRA . ET . HIB . REGINA *

The reverse legend says: POSVI DEVM . ADIUTOREM . MEUM

The coin is 25.8 mm in diameter, thickness is 0.75 mm. I do not know its weight.The coin is slightly bent, not entirely flat.

http://www.treasurer...beth_I-003.html points to a Elizabeth I sixpence (bottom of the page) that looks quite like it, but mine appears too modern... So I have serious doubts whether mine is real or that it is a later reproduction.

Anyone with some knowledge on coins of that era who can shed some light?

[edit] found my callipers, updated the dimensions of the coin.[/edit]

c_IMG_3732.jpg

c_IMG_3731.jpg

Edited by Trantor_3

I found another website, showing this coin: http://museumvictoria.museum/collections/items/52509/coin-sixpence-elizabeth-i-england-great-britain-1564

This one looks an awfull lot like the one I have...

The color on the photographs on that site resembles the actual color of my coin better than my own pictures :unsure:

The diameter is close to what I found on that other website. I measured 25.8 mm, that site mentions 25 mm.

I cannot determine the weight properly, as I do not have a scale that is sensitive enough.This coin is pretty thin (0.75 mm) and thus quite light.

The edge is plain.

I took it with me to work today, we have a mail scale there, but it's got not enough resolution, can only show whole grammes. the digital indicator toggled between 1 and 2 gram, but I have no idea how accurate it is in that area, as the lowest value it can indicate is 1 g.