CoinPeople.com

Denga 1730 - Interesting Sale

extant4cell

I bought this Denga I would love to hear your comments. It has green patina, somewhat worn out, but nice. And reasonable details. I'll keep it in collection:

post-27191-0-31213300-1361100011_thumb.jpg post-27191-0-77909800-1361100031_thumb.jpg

I looked for a similar coin as an example (? 7 leaves in the branch, interesting tail) and I found these three very unusual sales of the same coin!!! It was sold 3 times within 2 years, in 2009 twice and in 2010 once. The funny thing is that every time the price dropped up to $1000. Started from $4000, than $3000 and finished at $2233. Its condition was MS65 for the first 2 sales and XF for the last one. Here are the pictures (http://www.m-dv.ru/c...248/prohod.html):

p_49a33070e3175.jpgp_49a33070e5c6a.jpg

1_4ac1b3e357474.jpg2_4ac1b3e357c44.jpg

1_4c98b9c62672b.jpg2_4c98b9c6272e8.jpg

Looks like it flooded the market with itself, with people not realizing it was the same coin! Very lucky for the last buyers and unlucky for last two sellers. The luckiest guy was the first one who sold it...

Your coin has 4 rows of feathers in the eagles tail, which makes it uncommon, but I see 11 leaves not 7?

The Alexander auction IMHO does overgrade their wares. That's probably why the Gorny sale listed it as XF and the price dropped. Not sure what to make of the 2 Alexander sales, either the first or both were not legitimate would be my guess.

Wow. Great detective work. That's hilarious!

It is a strange way of making money! :)

Your coin has 4 rows of feathers in the eagles tail, which makes it uncommon, but I see 11 leaves not 7?

The Alexander auction IMHO does overgrade their wares. That's probably why the Gorny sale listed it as XF and the price dropped. Not sure what to make of the 2 Alexander sales, either the first or both were not legitimate would be my guess.

7 leaves on one side (including the top leaf)! ;):) :) if you count them all - it's 12 feathers actually :swoon: ...

Here is another photo of the same coin shared by CFN:

So, you believe that it wasn't just an investment that turned bad for someone, but someone tried to sell it and bought it back to register a high price in order to resell it again and this time to keep the money? With the first sale, it is actually possible I guess.

7 leaves on one side (including the top leaf)! ;):) :) if you count them all - it's 12 feathers actually :swoon: ...

So how do you count the top leaf? Which side does it belong to? And when you say X leaves would that be on the outside or the inside of the branch? :swoon:

Why not just count all the leaves? For example:

7 leaves:

981016.jpg

11 Leaves:

988210.jpg

13 leaves:

994124.jpg

Can't see the date clearly, picture is small. I would guess 1734.

My guess was 1736... any other guesses?

So how do you count the top leaf? Which side does it belong to? And when you say X leaves would that be on the outside or the inside of the branch? :swoon:

Why not just count all the leaves?

Agreed. Need to count all leaves. Top leaf is to be counted in. It makes the first coin having 12 leaves. :)

• 2 years later...

the coin at the start of the topic is 1735. :) Now I know... well, I knew that for a while... lol

Here is another coin I a hoping to add soon to the collection of my 1730 dengas:

http://staraya-moneta.ru/forum/messages/forum63/topic86448/message814527/?result=reply#message814527

• 3 years later...