CoinPeople.com

Dimes of South America

ccg

1017570.jpg

Chile 1879

1 Decimo

2.50g, AR500

First year of issue for debased Chilean dimes.

Chile issued regular full weight and fineness gold 10 peso pieces until 1892 and silver 1 peso pieces until 1891, so it can likely be assumed that the reduction of the fineness from 900/1000 to 500/1000 for the 5c, 10c, and 20c in 1879 was purely for cost saving purposes, and that they continued to be redeemable for gold coins at the same rate.

1017570.jpg

Chile 1879

1 Decimo

2.50g, AR500

First year of issue for debased Chilean dimes.

Chile issued regular full weight and fineness gold 10 peso pieces until 1892 and silver 1 peso pieces until 1891, so it can likely be assumed that the reduction of the fineness from 900/1000 to 500/1000 for the 5c, 10c, and 20c in 1879 was purely for cost saving purposes, and that they continued to be redeemable for gold coins at the same rate.

Another very interesting coin. I like the design on this too. Perhaps and expansion of my collection is being called for.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The eagle and snake motif runs throughout Latin/South America, I see.

If you are referring to the to the 1879 Chilean decimo, a closer look at the coin (or a higher resolution photo) will reveal that the "snake" is really a piece of a chain that the Condor has broken. This is probably a reference to breaking the chains that formerly bound Chile to Spain (a metaphor for liberation and independence through revolution).

If you are referring to the to the 1879 Chilean decimo, a closer look at the coin (or a higher resolution photo) will reveal that the "snake" is really a piece of a chain that the Condor has broken. This is probably a reference to breaking the chains that formerly bound Chile to Spain (a metaphor for liberation and independence through revolution).

Fascinating! I stand corrected

1020507.jpg

Brazil 1867
200 Reis
2.50g, AR835

A short lived three year type coin.
The denomination inferred that 400 reis equalled a franc, making a reis equal to 1/4 of a French centime.

Brazil has been one of those countries that has chronically suffered from inflation for much of its history - a quick look at its scant silver coinage in the 20th century tells quite a story.

This was purchased for me in Brazil by a serviceman who was there, and to him, I will always be grateful.

He remarked that it's quite popular there for coins to be cleaned / whizzed / polished, and that it's actually a bit of a challenge to find an original piece that someone hadn't tried to "improve."

Excellent examples, thanks for showing ccg! :yes:

He remarked that it's quite popular there for coins to be cleaned / whizzed / polished, and that it's actually a bit of a challenge to find an original piece that someone hadn't tried to "improve."

Definitely true, and the larger the coin the worse it is, 200 and 500 Reis can be found in "original" condition but 1000 and 2000 Reis are almost always found (harshly) cleaned. :sorry:

BTW, i remembered that i have this one (it would be fun if they made them in Denver):

1020538.jpg

Jose

• 3 years later...