CoinPeople.com

Straits Settlements New Additions

sidney

This is one of the two coins acquired much earlier, one of which was slab and sold about two months back. This is yet to be slab but will be soon.

Straits Settlements Kg Edward VII

Denomination: 50cts

Year : 1902

Composition : Silver .800 fine

Mintage : 148,000

Graded : XF+

Still in the hunt for a UNC piece.

KgEdwardVII190250cts10b_zps94214968.jpg

Great looking coin. Update us when you get it slabbed, please?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Collecting Straits Settlements coins can become an obsession. Well, at least to me. I find it hard to abstain buying a coin once seeing a nice copy. I guess many of you will find it likewise. The worst part, not selling duplicates. :lol:

This is one of the coin I purchased many years.

Straits Settlements Queen Victoria
Denomination : 10cts
Year : 1882H
Mintage : 430,000
Grade - EF+

QVictoria188210cts48b_zpsbbb888f7.jpg

This next coin is the last issue in the Q Victoria series. Mintage is of abundance and with many copies circulating around, all in high qualities. You may still need to pay big bucks for them. Happy hunting.

Specification are as below.

Straits Settlements Queen Victoria
Year : 1901
Mintage : 2,700,000
Grade - UNC

QVictoria190110cts47b_zps558f17d8.jpg

I think the numbers on the back of this coin are rather unique and look like a really good anti-forgery device.... I'm not aware of any other coinage that has that kind of metallic pinstriping within the letters

I think the numbers on the back of this coin are rather unique and look like a really good anti-forgery device.... I'm not aware of any other coinage that has that kind of metallic pinstriping within the letters

¥500 coins, if I'm not mistaken would be one example.

• 3 weeks later...

Another silver coin in my collection, however certified AU55. Edwards 50cts coins in AU ~ UNC are relatively quite hard to find.

Straits Settlements Kg Edward VII
Denomination : 50cts
Year : 1907H
Composition : Silver .900 fine
Mintage : 2,666,667

Grade - AU55 (Currently 6 pcs. graded by NGC)

KgEdwardVII1907H50cts48b_zpsa9d7d1d6.jpg

This is one of the most common coin in the Kg George V series. It is of BU condition and with traces of luster.

Straits Settlements Kg George V
Year : 1927
Composition : Silver .600 fine
Mintage : 23,000,000

Grade - BU (My personal grading)

KgGeorgeV192710cts01b_zps703ec112.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
There is indeed a reason for the silver content variation and you find it occurs between the period of 1902 to the 1940s. As follows is a partial extract.
On 22 October 1906 by the Straits Settlements (coinage) order of 1906: The Straits Settlements adopted the gold exchange standard. A gold value of 2 Shillings 4 Pence was given to the Straits Settlements Dollar by the government which also authorized the board of Currency Commissioners to receive gold at the rate of seven gold Sovereigns for 60 Settlements Silver Dollar.

By November 1906, the first Straits Settlements large silver dollars dated 1903 and 1904 became intrinsically worth their face value. (Silver content .900 fine)
However within a few years, the value of silver rose rapidly making the silver value of the Straits dollar higher than its gold exchange value. In order the prevent a melt down of the dollars, a second series of smaller Straits Settlements dollar of a lower silver contents were struck between 1907 until 1909. (Silver content .900 fine)
These series of 1907-1909 silver dollar were also became overvalued by August 1917 and were subsequently replaced by a further reduced silver content and weight dollars dated 1919 and 1920. (Silver content .500 fine)

On 29 August 1918, "The Legal Tender (Supplementary) Enactment 1918" came into force. It provided for the issuance of the 5, 10, and 20 cents coins of lower silver (.400 fine) silver content. This was followed on the 29 October 1919, "The Legal Tender (Supplementary) Enactment 1919" which reduced the silver fineness of the 50 cents and One dollar from .900 to .500. It proved difficult to produce 5 cents coins of sufficient size and reduced weight to be easily portable. A new and first 5 cents coin in Cupro Nickel was minted in 1920. These coin was however not popular and was short lived.
Silver coins proofed popular and it continued to be minted till 1945 in the small denominations of 5cts, 10cts & 20cts. (Silver content .750 fine & .500 fine)

Thank you - I must say that the Straits dollar rating of 2/4 comes as quite a shock to me since most dollar ratings are often at 4/ or 5/.

But it must had been a bit odd at the time given that HK, China, and India all continued to use the silver standard.

This is the second copy of the Raised "B" coin I acquired.

Straits Settlements King Edward VII

Denomination : 1 Dollar
Year : 1903
Variety : Raised "B"
Mintage : Unknown (Included together the "Incuse B" totaling 15,009,891 pieces)
Graded : AU53 Currently 4 pieces in record graded by NGC at AU53

For you info, in one of the recent auction is S.E. Asia, two Raised "B" coins sold as follows:

1. Approx. USD14,800 Proof copy graded by PCGS SP63+
  2. Approx. USD1700 UNC copy graded by NGC M61

KgEdwardVII1903RaisedB29b_zps0e7f2983.jp

This is the second copy of the Raised "B" coin I acquired.

Straits Settlements King Edward VII

Denomination : 1 Dollar

Year : 1903

Variety : Raised "B"

Mintage : Unknown (Included together the "Incuse B" totaling 15,009,891 pieces)

Graded : AU53 Currently 4 pieces in record graded by NGC at AU53

For you info, in one of the recent auction is S.E. Asia, two Raised "B" coins sold as follows:

1. Approx. USD14,800 Proof copy graded by PCGS SP63+
  2. Approx. USD1700 UNC copy graded by NGC M61

KgEdwardVII1903RaisedB29b_zps0e7f2983.jp

More terrific coins Sidney. I'm really enjoying seeing your collection and learning about the Straits Settlement coins.

Hi. I am very new here. I also love all the straits collection in this thread. I recently acquire a collection of straits coins for a retired collector. This is a straits settlements 10 cents in very fine condition. weak strike and hairlines

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. I hope that you enjoy your collecting and the forums.

Hi. I am very new here. I also love all the straits collection in this thread. I recently acquire a collection of straits coins for a retired collector. This is a straits settlements 10 cents in very fine condition. weak strike and hairlines

Hi Chin,

Welcome to CoinPeople and to the forum. Hope you will share what you have.

Nice 1910 Kg Edward VII 10cts you have there. This coin may be common but the high grade UNC copies are difficult to acquire.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Could you please tell me how to post the pictures of coin direct to the thread (like what you did) instead on doing it as an attachment picture like what I did.

Those are photos that are stored on a site such as flickr or smugmug. They provide a link for sharing the photo. You can just cut and paste the link here and whalla a beautiful picture.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ugotahaveart/9352687265/][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7350/9352687265_e92e80366c_z.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ugotahaveart/9352687265/]DSC_0088.JPG[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/ugotahaveart/]UGotaHaveArt[/url], on Flickr
 this is what flickr provides for sharing my photo.

9352687265_e92e80366c_z.jpg
DSC_0088.JPG by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

And above are the results of just copying that info into the post.