CoinPeople.com

how do you organize your banknote collection?

Hispania

Want to know what material do you use for keeping the banknotes of your collection save of humidity,

Because some collectors are saying that keeping them in plastic pages have PVC so its bad for the banknote. And i think mine does.

So im a little bit worried about it, and want to buy a new ones for keeping them save for a ver long period of time

Regards,

Alfonso

Hi Alfonso, I've only just started collecting back notes from a magazine collection I was given few months back and they are in plastic wallets and they are in Excellent Condition and this magazine collection is over Ten Years Old!!!, on the other hand it can cause problems, a friend of mine told me his dad has banknotes and they are on card with little plastic corners on the them to stop falling about, so there are other things out there to help look after the notes.

My collection of banknotes is small, only just over 2000 notes, so it is a little bit easier to manage compared to some of the large collections. I use to work in museums so I store my collection just like I would store artifacts. I use Mylar Sleeves, Archival Containers, and I use Desiccant canisters which I bake every once in a while to refresh.

I originally stored my collection In Archival Boxes in a Fireproof Safe. Boxes are compact and you can store a lot of notes in small space. Boxes make it easy to move things around in the collection. The draw back of a box is that it is hard to view the banknotes. Also, over time the corners break unless you get a good metal edged box. After the fire (my collection was ruined in a fireproof safe, another story), I started to store my collection in Binders. Binders make it easier to view the banknotes. But it is harder to shuffle things around and they take more space.

I now use:

Ultra-pro 3 pocket Mylar sleeves (The2Buds)

Metal Case Desiccant Canisters (Archivalmethods)

2-1/2’Binders with Slip cover cases (Archivalmethods)