CoinPeople.com

1806 AT Double Abaz - R4

STEVE MOULDING

Came across this today in a 1932 auction catalog in my library. Supposedly an 1806 AT Double Abaz.

BALL_1932_12_05_714a.jpg BALL_1932_12_05_714b.jpg

I've never seen one before and Bitkin has it at R4. It was estimated at 100 Marks (a lot). I wonder if it sold?

1806 should be AK, so one possibility is an altered K.

These pictures are from the Heidelberg Library as I haven't made a high resolution scan of my catalog yet...though I have looked at the image under a loupe. Seems OK.

Any Georgian experts have an opinion? Or anyone have the Prices Realized for Ball Nachf. VIII?

Thanks Bob.

Now I see that your 2008 Journal article references your JRNS73 7-pager devoted to the 1807-AT. I wasn't aware of that article and will now read it...certainly a lot of story with that coin!

Are you aware of an 1806-AT mentioned anywhere else? Also, I have to wonder what is the basis for Bitkin's R4 listing?

Finally I'll have to check the ANS copy of Ball VIII (1932) to see if by chance prices were written in, as they were in many other catalogs I have from that period. My catalog has no prices, nor does the Heidelberg copy.

Thanks Bob.

Now I see that your 2008 Journal article references your JRNS73 7-pager devoted to the 1807-AT. I wasn't aware of that article and will now read it...certainly a lot of story with that coin!

Are you aware of an 1806-AT mentioned anywhere else? Also, I have to wonder what is the basis for Bitkin's R4 listing?

Finally I'll have to check the ANS copy of Ball VIII (1932) to see if by chance prices were written in, as they were in many other catalogs I have from that period. My catalog has no prices, nor does the Heidelberg copy.

I was unaware of the 1806 AT listing until you mentioned it on this forum. The R4 listing by Bitkin

is a guess on his part; he also lists novodels (per Uzdenikov) for the Georgian series but I doubt that

any exist. He says, for example, that the 1807 AT double abazi is a novodel but it is not; it is definitely

a fake.

Steve,

What is Ball VIII (1932) catalog?

Robert Ball Nachfolger (Berlin), Sale VIII 1932

Heidelberg Link: http://digi.ub.uni-h...nachf1932_12_05

RUSSIAN PLATES

http://digi.ub.uni-h.../1/Tafel_08.jpg

http://digi.ub.uni-h.../1/Tafel_09.jpg

I have several sale catalogs from this house which offered just 10 auctions from 1917-1934. They also put out a (larger) number of Fixed Price Lists but the FPLs I have weren't plated so are less interesting.

european catalogs may potentially bring a lot of rare russian / georgian coins, the only problem is that there are so many of these catalogs - needs a separate room keep them as in library

european catalogs may potentially bring a lot of rare russian / georgian coins, the only problem is that there are so many of these catalogs - needs a separate room keep them as in library

Why is that a problem ...sounds great :yes:

Here's a nice library

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/sets/72157631713151633/with/8063781364/

Auction catalogues arranged by vendor and date, Numismatic Library of BCD, Athens

Paper, Numismatic Library of BCD, Athens, Reading Room with blue-t-shirted photographer in the window

Coins mention in 1915, I believed book photocopy or original in my library.Thank you for showing image from catalog .

Rarenum

PS: Will ask Bitkin about source for listing,possible the same book.